Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:25 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:58 am 
Retro Guru

True. Just wary of people trying to offload knackered sets off once they realise they haven't looked after them and a new set of stanchions are required.

I'm in no massive rush as I quite the Bombers, but will swap them at some point. A mate had a Tazer with some Floats on and it looked ace. He had his Push tuned and they worked so well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:48 pm 
Retro Guru

I don't have a thread for any of my bikes. I write my stuff in Romanian on our website and I don't quite take pictures of my bikes and building steps. The Tazer will be documented, though. I will shoot pictures of it when it'll be perfectly clean.

I like Z1's a lot but somehow I feel Marzocchi doesn't fit to Intense as a brand. Yes, I know about several racing partnerships of theirs, but still. I also dig the fact that you want a functional bike more than a period correct one. I can afford this luxury since there are many bikes around.

Mx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:37 pm 
Retro Guru

Spent today finishing the Tazer off - sorting out the gears, brake alignment, installed the 12mm conversion for the rear hub etc. Here are a bunch of photos that I took...

I think I'm going to keep the Z1's on it - I like them, and think they look OK. It felt pretty good when I took it for a quick spin up and down the road. It is very, very stiff with no give whatsoever in the back end.

Hopefully going to take it for its first outing tomorrow morning in the local woods to muck about on some sketchy jumps and short downhill runs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:36 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Turned out well. Whats the travel on those Z1s are they 130? with a little sag it lowers them a bit. Looks like a lot of fun and I bet isn't too heavy either, looks like a compact frame. Rear tyre clearance was crazy tight! 2.35 Maxxis just about fit OK by look if it. Need something fat on mine but The 2.1 Nevegal does very well really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:55 pm 
Retro Guru

Cheers buddy, but unfortunately it's dead due to a crack where the seat stays join the seat tube which is where the original Tazers like this always cracked hence the later ones have a massive gusset.

I don't know if the crack was there before I bought it, but its only been ridden a handle of times.

The forks are 130mm and just keep working. It's heavier than it should be but the wheels are quite heavy and donate the cranks.

So, I'm now on the look out for another hard tail!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:08 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Interesting (and sad of course as it looked like short wheelbase fun. :( ) Whats on the short list then?..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:24 pm 
Retro Guru

It was indeed short and fun...the power transfer was immense, so I guess that maybe why they were so prone to cracking; no give whatsoever.

Not entirely sure what to replace it with. I quite fancy a hardcore steel hardtail so am watching a couple of BFE frames on eBay. I'd like another Tazer but they're like rocking horse poo to get hold of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:46 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Half tempted to offer one of my Trailstars but dunno if am done with that experiment or not! :lol: A Bfe would be fun. The older ones are 853 but stiffer/heavier I think. the (old) new ones are £300 new which is good VFM.
There were deals on stuff on CRC and forums too. sure I saw an Evil Imperial EDIT Sovreign I mean, somewhere 'cheap'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:30 pm 
Retro Guru

Sorry to hear its broke. Was looking so good!

A bfe would be a nice replacement... Or what about a 456? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:48 pm 
Retro Guru

At least you have something beautiful to hang on the wall now!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next