Mongoose Deuce Pro

nigelb

Dirt Disciple
Recently picked up this somewhat rare and unusual frame. I have scant information on the frame as there is hardly any info out there, but it seems to have been produced from 2001 for a few years. The frame around the headtube is unusual in construction being skeletal and adjustable for head angle. The frame is very nicely made but it's not exactly a lightweight, it was obviously not aimed at XC weight weenies. I like the nondescript grey colour so decided to keep it grey/black so won't excite any Klein fans. There are one or two small marks on the frame that need touching up if I can find suitable paint, but I'm not too bothered, its just a fun bike.

A large number of parts have come off my Giant Anthem which has recently gone through a major upgrade process. Here's the spec:

Frame - Mongoose Deuce Pro
Forks - Rock Shox Recon Gold Solo Air 120mm
Shifters - Shimano SLX 9sp pair
Rear Mech - Shimano SLX 9sp
Front Mech - Shimano Deore
Chainset - Truvativ Holzfeller 36-24 and bash
Chain - Shimano HG93 9 speed
Brakes - Shimano Deore BL-M596 f/r
Disks - Shimano SLX Centrelock
Handlebars - Truvativ Holzfeller 700mm black
Stem - Truvativ Holzfeller 60mm black
Headset - FSA IS2 Semi integrated
Grips - Giant lock-on
Seatpost - Titec 31.6 Black
Saddle - Club Roost CR Sport
Rims - Shimano MT-15 black
Hubs - Shimano
Cassette - Shimano HG61 9 speed
Tyres - Maxxis High Roller semi-slick
Pedals - DMR V8 black

Attachments

• Deuce8.jpg
    Deuce8.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 1,628
  • Deuce7.jpg
    Deuce7.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 1,622
  • Deuce6.jpg
    Deuce6.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 1,622
  • Deuce5.jpg
    Deuce5.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 1,626
  • Deuce4.jpg
    Deuce4.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 1,627
  • Deuce3.jpg
    Deuce3.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 1,627
  • Deuce2.jpg
    Deuce2.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 1,629
  • Deuce1.jpg
    Deuce1.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 1,629
ryan_is":22sfm1u0 said:
Ditto, love the head tube detail. Similar to a Scott(?) DH bike.

Hey you're right. I've never seen a Scott Octane before. The headtube on the Mongoose can be rotated 180 degrees to change the head angle. It's currently set to slackest, I don't know the actual angle as I can't find any info about the frame. Looks to be a change of about 2 degrees.

Attachments

• scott htube.jpg
    scott htube.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,591
That's an interesting looking frame and not one I've seen before. Looks in good nick too.

Have you had the chance to use it much yet? What do you reckon to the Deore brakes? I was thinking about a set to replace my M4's.

Mindmap3":1lszbyqy said:
Have you had the chance to use it much yet? What do you reckon to the Deore brakes? I was thinking about a set to replace my M4's.

No not had a chance to use them in anger yet, have been laid up with flu since fitting them, so these are first impressions from a couple of short rides, they're not really bedded in yet.

I've only got experience of five sets of brakes:

Hope M4 Tech Evos now on my Giant
Shimano M596 Deore just fitted to the Mongoose
Shimano M445 which were on my Giant Anthem until recently
Avid Elexir 3's on my son's Cannondale
Shimano M575 - yeuch!

They are listed in my order of preference - best at the top. The Deore's are really nice brakes for the £90 they cost me with a nice progressive feel but they don't have the adjustability and sheer power and bite of the Hope's. I feel safer with the Hopes, I think they could stop me under any circumstance. I don't get this with the Deore's but then the Hope's are over twice the price. I know you are not satisfied with your older M4's but I have no idea whether the Deore's would be an upgrade for you. More likely XT's would be.

is that a 3 speed front mech used with 2 chain rings - the bottom of the cage looks to be very close to the chainstay plus is it quite a way from the rings.

02gf74":dpqo08kc said:
is that a 3 speed front mech used with 2 chain rings - the bottom of the cage looks to be very close to the chainstay plus is it quite a way from the rings.

Yep, you got it. Repositioned the mech as close as I could to the outer ring which gives me about 2mm clearance between the bottom cage and chainstay, wind in the H adjuster so it goes no further than outer ring. It all works smoothly.

That is truly a lovely bike....first time I have felt the need to comment on someones ride.....Loving the understated grey and the head tube is just pure art!
Want that one!
mark :)

Back