Rock Lobster winter 1x9 build

makster

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Given that my usual trails haven't dried out all year, and that I had a nice 853 Rock Lobster frame sat in my shed doing nothing, I decided to throw some bits I had kicking around at it and build a winter bike.
I was going to fit some Marzocchi Bombers I had, but was wanting to build something as simple as possible so started looking at rigid options.
In the end I went for some Salsa Cromoto's.
I also bought one of the SJS Dura-ace 9 speed thumbies, some BB7 brake calipers and a Hope 38T singlespeed chainring.
I've used the Crossride wheels from my Santa Cruz for now.
As this is an experiment, I also bought some flat pedals to try.
I'm still coming to terms with using SPD's and struggled with being clipped in on a recent trip to Wales. (I could of course stick with my toe-clips, but I'm TRYING to change old habits :LOL: )
Anyway, I finished it today and took it out for a 25 mile ride in the gloop of The Purbecks.

Lobster002-1.jpg

Lobster003.jpg

The top of MMF!
Lobster004.jpg

Lobster007.jpg

Lobster010.jpg

So, the verdict....I loved it! The simplicity of it all was really refreshing, and I didn't need any more gearing than I had.
I'll be changing the seat post and saddle pretty mush straight away, and I'll keep my eyes peeled for some lighter cranks.
Can't see my Santa Cruz getting much use this winter :D

Really like it. Love the forks. What is the mud clearance like on the frame itself? What size are the tyres?

Really like that! Good work :).

I don't normally like saying what I'd change on other peoples rides as everyones different but if it were mine I'd maybe go for some Charge splashbacks or another skinwall tyre to get s lightly more classic look being such a classic looking frame :cool:

Mud clearance isn't great with the current tyres, but they'll be coming off tomorrow and some dedicated muds fitted :roll:
Conditions a joke at the moment where I ride, so Splashbacks would be deadly I'm afraid.
Maybe in the Summer

Quite like that. I can see the appeal of something so simple now the weather is getting even worse.

michael franks":2xq5etq6 said:
Nice bike - I really like those Rock Lobster frames. How did you get on with the flat pedals?

I struggled a bit to be honest. I think a lot of that was down to my footwear choice, but I did keep sliding/bouncing off of the pedals.
I'll persist with it for a few more rides and see how it goes

Really nice. Only thing I'd change us the saddle for something black for aesthetic reasons but you mention that's being changed anyway. I'd also go for hydraulic discs rather than cables but there's a lot if live for bb7's so they must be good.

Overall a great looking and dialled winter ride.

makster wrote:

I think a lot of that was down to my footwear choice, but I did keep sliding/bouncing off of the pedals.
I'll persist with it for a few more rides and see how it goes

I;ve been using some old trainers for commuting with some GT copies of DMR V8s and they don't slip at all. In fact the pins on the pedals have created some little sockets on the soles of the shoes :shock:
I can't make out what make those pedals you're using are but they look pretty serious and they look great with the frame and cranks.
Give it a few more rides.

And toe-clips are cool :D

Back