99' Stumpjumper FSR XC project new pics added

Dj

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Hey guys,
i thought i'd show you guys how my 98' Stumpjumper build, me and my boyfriend are building it up to sell once its done.

Thanks to Twain for the wheels and shifters

Here's the spec:
-Shimano XT hubs laced to Mavic D521 rims
-Magura hydraulic rim brakes
-2006 Manitou R7 80mm with lockout and rebound adjustment.
-Deore XT front/rear mech and 8spd shifters
-Deore LX octalink crankset
-Hope XC headset
-Raceface ride stem
-Marin oversized riser bars
-WTB Prowler MX 2.1 tyres (temporary)
-Fox float shock(not working) seals are busted because there are some harsh scratches on the can.

Whats left now:
-Thomson Seatpost and fizik seat
-Grips
-8spd Chain
-165mm Fox Shock
-Pedals
-Black/silver crankset octalink or hollowtech II

i think thats all..

My questions:
-I was wondering if there was anything we could do about the paintwork damage?.. i have got sheets of A4 sized carbon rock guards, but it would mean covering up half of the "specialized" decal..
-What sort of price do you guys think the bike could sell for?
-Is the lockout lever in the correct place on the handlebars?! :oops:

what do you guys think so far?
thanks

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

just a thought on the paint work - you might be able to touch it up (rattle can) and then replace the specialized decal (there are repros around) but tricky part is that its only affected the first 2 letters :p

apart from that, some nice components on this bike :) get it built and get riding - you'll always be chopping and changing bits for as long as you have it :)

Thanks,
i am now looking to get it re-sprayed, kind of not wanting to sell it already,
Big mick has sorted a shock for me :D so thats sorted too.
And lucky me just bought a hope bottom bracket in blue :)
i'm already chopping and changing it :s

Dj":1cbaibae said:
Thanks,
i am now looking to get it re-sprayed, kind of not wanting to sell it already,
Big Al has sorted a shock for me :D so thats sorted too.
And lucky me just bought a hope bottom bracket in blue :)
i'm already chopping and changing it :s
do you still want that shock from me?

If you want to ride this, then do as you please. I would recommend stripping all the paint and polishing the front or powdercoating it. Touching up paint that is missing that much is going to look as bad as the missing paint patches do now.

The build does have some potential though, looking forward too seeing it finished.

Building bikes is fun, but if you are building it too sell for profit, I'd have a look at what these go for fully built so you get an idea of what to spend "doing it up". Not putting you off or knocking your efforts, but its easy to spend more than you will ever get back.

I'm not really looking to ride this as its a bit too small for me, but i am going to get it polished/powdercoated, just having a look at my options, any recommendations?
and even though its too small for me i am really looking forward to the finished product too.
and bigmick i would still like that shock, you may not have got my message because i was on the train skipping through tunnels but i'll resend the PM soon.

thanks guys :D

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-Stump-Jumper-FSR-XC-Cycle-/251153640593?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3a79ec6c91#ht_748wt_1189

thats a nice example of what you can do with these bikes, and it has the elusive disc adapter. but since you have some lovely maguras, you have nothing to worry about there :) that colour i quite like too ;)

i started out with some cranks like yours (think they are m571s) but soon went off the colour scheme. i see you got yourself an M739 rear mech and the M740 shifters i sold to you - i'd recommend hunting down the M739 cranks to finish that set off nicely :) - they aren't that regular on ebay though.

if you are going to the effort of getting it powder coated, i'd definitely see it as a bit of a keeper to get your money and efforts worth out of it.
these projects are most certainly a labour of love - if i set out to make money doing this, i'd be homeless before i finished my first build :twisted:

keep it going and keep us updated :) check out this thread for some inspiration if you need it:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=146268&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

there are some FSR XCs in there somewhere - plus loads of problems highlighted and solved :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yeah, i like how that bike looks, i hope i can make this bike into something special,
I'm not too keen on this crank already but i stuck it on there to help me adjust the gears, i've already set out about changing the crankset, i've got myself a Hope hollowtech 2 bottom bracket and i have an XT hollowtech crankset lined up, but now i'm going to have to change the derailleurs and shifters! :roll:
but i have another bike i can put the old XT stuff on :)
i am already seeing it as a keeper and its not compete yet :LOL:

New pic's and wanted list update :D

main.php

i added a near new m760 crankset, with a hope bottom bracket,
and a later XT 9 speed derailleur.
Also a thomson seatpost and a specialized seat i found lying around

Back