orange sub5 build + other oranges

LeeMsIsle

Dirt Disciple
Been having good fun with my rebuilt orange msisle but fancied a full suspension bike, so picked up a orange sub5 frame that although little used was looking very tied. After removing the rear v brake mounts and stripping it down had the frame microbead blasted and powder coated in ral2004 pure orange (same colour as my msisle). So now build starts bit by bit.

wheels are mavic ex729 rims on hope hubs wrapped in nokian gazzaloddi 2.6fr and 3.0rear with nokian dh tubes, other parts I have so far are marzocchi Jr t forks, sram x0 rear mech with x0 trigger shifter, sram dh rear cassette, rock shox sid xc rear shock, 24seven dark angel bars and stem (same as I have on the msisle) and waiting on a set of hope enduro 4 brakes and new bearings to arrive.

Decals were made by dnfive as orange don't have the rear sub5 decals anymore, however the very nice people at orange are sending me the metal head tube badge and seat post decal.

Sorry for dodgy pics (NB DELETED PICS AS NOW HAVE SOME IN FOCUS!)

Nice bikes you have there, I really wouldn't run those forks though, on either bike. They really weren't designed for that much travel and the stresses dual crown forks can put on the bike. Not to mention the fact they're heavy and will seriously impede the handling of the bike.

Hi thanks for comments, my style of riding is far more downpub than downhill or freehouse than freeride so bikes have a gentle life (other than my bulk on the back). 25miles along towpath with a couple of pub stops is the norm, so fork travel is pretty minimal. Know its a bit like having a range rover and just using it around town.

Did have some Marzocchi MZ comps 100mm i think? On the msisle but just feels so much smoother (at least to me) with the DNM forks, trying to set up sub5 at similar angels etc.

From memory both bikes have a recommend travel of 125mm the dnm on the msisle is 160mm and the Jr t is 170mm

Some slightly better pics of the frame, still loads to do (and buy) tho.

And gave the msisle a clean

Attachments

• Sub5 2.jpg
    Sub5 2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 2,402
  • MsIsle 1.jpg
    MsIsle 1.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 2,402
Other halfs airo all up & running (bit white for my tastes but hey not my bike) complete with big bum ladies saddle

Attachments

• Airo SWMBO2.jpg
    Airo SWMBO2.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 2,263
  • Airo SWMBO.jpg
    Airo SWMBO.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 2,263
Thanks, hopefully she wont find this thread!

Been adding a few more bits of kit to the sub5 (couple more due to arrive this week), hopefully will be ready for 1st ride at the weekend.

Spec will be:

Orange Sub 5: (New Ral 2004 "pure orange" powdercoat & decals. New pivot bearings)
R - Mavic EX729 rim on Hope bulb hub 20mm / Nokian Gazzaloddi 3.0 / Nokian MTB 26 x 2.1-3.0 DH inner tube
F - Mavic EX729 rim on Hope bulb hub QR / Nokian Gazzaloddi 2.6 / Nokian MTB 26 x 2.1-3.0 DH inner tube
SRAM X0 Rear Mech / braided cable
SRAM X0 Trigger Shifter 9 Speed
SRAM PG970 9 Speed MTB Cassette - 11-26
Raceface X-Type DH BB
Raceface Ride DH cranks
Blackspire Downhill 7075 Series 2013 - 37t
Blackspire DSX C4 Chain Device - Orange 2013 - BB Mount
KMC X9 93 9 Speed Chain
FireEye Ignition pedals
Marzocchi Junior T Bomber forks
Marzocchi Acerbis fender
Strange lock-on grips
Easton Monkey Lite DH handlebars (carbon)
Manitou SPV 4-way air shock
Hope Enduro 4 brakes / braided hoses
Hope Headset
Hope QR seat clamp
Hope Spacers
Hope QR rear skewer
Hope intergrated stem
Hope Floating Rotors 203mm
Hope Eternity seatpost
Deity saddle

Quick update pic (still items to fit and some just test fitted)

Attachments

• sub5.jpg
    sub5.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 2,221
Back