some help/advice needed with my 98 gt lts build

Chute55uk

Retrobike Rider
GT Fan
hi, im building my first lts (1998 lts2000)
so far i have put on a new chain/casette (deore)
goldtec rear mech hanger
new fork seals and 7.5w oil (marzocchi jr t)
it has the most god awful dmr pile of crap front chain guide for a single ring conversion (who in their right mind would run that shite)
the crank arms are deore hollowtech
so the assistance/advice i need is:
change the chainset for another triple deore? if so what would be the correct model number?
what type of front mech should i fit and size? i think its bottom pull top swing.
should i ditch the hope c2 brakes which look like they were made from cast cow crap and put maguras on (in which case are mavic d521 rims ok to brake on?
any other words of gt wisdom before i chuck this thing in a skip and count my losses?
the whole thing just seems like it was ridden by travis pastrana and maintained by forrest gump.
the good news though after taking apart what i believe to be the horst link bushes even though a degrease wouldnt go amis there doesnt seem to be any play in the rear end sou would i just degrease and regrease these areas? and if so what type of grease? eg lithium/copperslip/silicone lube?
many thanks for anyone who can reinstill motivation in me to complete this because all i want to do is ride it :cry: :cry:

the original chainset was LX triple, the one with the non-replacable big ring. your choice to try to replace or upgrade. I eventually upgraded mine

Mech is indeed top swing bottom pull, model on mine is STX-RC which is original, i think

Have you got rear stays with the disk tab on it?

get some pics up so we can see the beastie better :)

here is some pictures taken before i got it pretty much.

Attachments

• Frontendspeedplay.jpg
    Frontendspeedplay.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 1,177
  • Frwheelspeedplay.jpg
    Frwheelspeedplay.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 1,177
  • RearhubLTSRB.jpg
    RearhubLTSRB.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 1,177
  • Rearshockspeedplay.jpg
    Rearshockspeedplay.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,177
  • Rightspeedplay.jpg
    Rightspeedplay.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 1,177
what would also be useful to know or see is some information regarding the rear shock bottom mount. mine has what looks like 2 minature aluminium cotton reels, one either side of the eyelet between the frame and the shock and a rather bent bolt holding the whole lot to the bike. im aware there should be some sort of bushing in the eyelet but i dont know if this current configuration is original or another bodge. the bolt going through is definitley a bodge as its a coach bolt with 2 nylock nuts :D
i was thinking of replacing this bolt with a stainless allen headed job if the "cotton reel" things are meant to be there or if not just get the strongbush from betd.

Doesn't look that bad...the chain device is missing the bottom roller though.

If you want to convert it back to a triple ring set up, you could just add the required rings assuming that the previous owner just ditched the middle and granny ring. Either that or try and pick up some old school Race Face.

Brake wise, I'm not a fan on the C2's especially with the sport lever, so I'd probably go down the route of maguras. The rear brake set up is pretty sort after, so you could recoup / make money on that. They've gone for crazy money on flea bay. Rims will be fine; it looks.like they've been used with rim brakes at some point.

Personally I'd lose the stem too...it's an abomination! I remember when they were all the rage...dark, dark days! Don't think it will take much to to turn it around.

As for grease, I use Motorex stuff for everything.

Good luck.

Thanks, i fitted to bottom roller, it has a world force stem to go on it and yes im thinkkng some hs33,s would go much better.

Thanks, i fitted to bottom roller, it has a world force stem to go on it and yes im thinkkng some hs33,s would go much better.

ur goin to have issues as soon as u take the c2 brakes off as the rear axle on the wheel is designed for the hope c2 brakes (its a no 2 caliper )

and the rear bolt is a harded bolt and needs a bushing on it for the rear shock even then ive bent a std one so i would be careful if u put another bolt in there

tony

and probs pm me

74B5AE9F-54B0-4927-8B6A-6872CFBDB4E7-10862-000005740E0F94A1.jpg

Maguras do suit,

79272AB4-C1EF-4BA4-8239-D533D1CC78BF-2679-0000012F1AA80EDF.jpg

Do's this image help at all if not I try and take one in morn

Thats nice have you got a picture of the bottom of the rockshox with al its associated spacers ect?

Back