Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:06 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:43 am 
Old School Grand Master

Quick question.

I know that the thread pitch on the RS and Fox rear shocks are different. Can I ream out the threads from my RS trunion and use it on a Fox shock? I'd ream it out so that the trunion slides over the Fox threads, and then I'd use a spare spring compression plate (one that screws on to the Fox threads) top and bottom to hold the trunion in place.

Just a thought - I think I've read somewhere that someone else was thinking about trying it but I'm not sure if anything came of it. It looks to be an easier solution than trying to find a trunion to fit a Fox shock!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:59 am 
Retro Guru

I dont think so, I'm at work so not in front of the trunnions at the mo but I'm pretty sure the internal diameter of fox is big enough that to ream it out you wouldn't leave enough metal in the RS trunnion for it to be strong enough.

The RS trunnion is physically smaller, not just a smaller internal diameter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:37 am 
Old School Grand Master

amedias wrote:
I dont think so, I'm at work so not in front of the trunnions at the mo but I'm pretty sure the internal diameter of fox is big enough that to ream it out you wouldn't leave enough metal in the RS trunnion for it to be strong enough.

The RS trunnion is physically smaller, not just a smaller internal diameter.

Bugger :(

Thanks for replying though - at least I know now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:07 pm 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

Barneyballbags wrote:
Quick question.

I know that the thread pitch on the RS and Fox rear shocks are different. Can I ream out the threads from my RS trunion and use it on a Fox shock? I'd ream it out so that the trunion slides over the Fox threads, and then I'd use a spare spring compression plate (one that screws on to the Fox threads) top and bottom to hold the trunion in place.

Just a thought - I think I've read somewhere that someone else was thinking about trying it but I'm not sure if anything came of it. It looks to be an easier solution than trying to find a trunion to fit a Fox shock!

I thought I read that someone had done it too. My main concern would be wrecking the one and only trunnion I have.

Wonder how many people are out there that would pay to have a small batch made for Fox shocks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:40 pm 
Retro Guru

I'll measure up and post a pic tonight just to make sure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:59 pm 
Retro Guru

sorry no pics, but I did have a look last night and you might actually get a way with it!

the fox trunnion is bigger, but looks like there might be just enough metal to do what you're thinking, although would be easier to get a new trunnion made I think

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8