Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:07 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:12 pm 
Retro Guru

amedias wrote:
for those that are interested I uploaded some pics of my 4Bs and S6s to flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65814794@N05/sets/72157631302862716/

The 4 Banger with the Cannondale Lefty "fork" looks ace. Definitely something I want to do to mine. How did you go about fitting it? I thought the the 4B head tube would be way to short and way to narrow for a lefty fork.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:00 pm 
Retro Guru

That's actually a Straight 6 with the Lefty.

You can get converters to use Lefty with 1 1/8 headtube, the 4B headtube is a bit short, but the S6 headtube is longer so works better with less spacers.

It did ride really nicely with the Lefty on it, but I ended using it on another bike in the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:25 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Funnily enough, I'd thought about running a Lefty on my 4B before I bought the Mavericks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:42 pm 
Retro Guru

amedias wrote:
for those that are interested I uploaded some pics of my 4Bs and S6s to flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65814794@N05/sets/72157631302862716/

That S6 looks ace...really good. Looks modern too, like many of the slope style.bikes that have appeared over the last few years. Must be a real hoot to ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:06 am 
Old School Grand Master

My 4B lives to fight another day :D

I've found some other bits to sell (when I say "found", I mean "bought a complete bike and I'm going to split it")..

I'll hopefully make a little bit of money on splitting the bike, so it'll go towards paying the dreaded bills!

The Mavericks are on their way back to me as we speak. They've had a complete strip down and service, and I've had the damper rod replaced as apparently it had a little nick on it which was causing the damper to lose air pressure every time it passed through the seals :shock:

I can't wait to get them back on now that I don't have to sell the bike!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:42 pm 
Old School Grand Master

The forks are back :D

What a difference!! It didn't even feel to me as if they needed servicing, but it was pretty clear that they did because the end result is a million times better than they were before!

I've also gained about an inch of height on the front end, as the forks weren't extending fully before (which I didn't realise :oops: ). I've got to tighten up the head angle by adjusting the rear shock on the trunion.

Don't you just love adjustable bikes? ;)

Piccies to follow later - I'm going to go and get it mucky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:57 pm 
Retro Guru

glad you're keeping it! they're such versatile bikes and the more you ride it the more you'll love it!

Quote:
That S6 looks ace...really good. Looks modern too, like many of the slope style.bikes that have appeared over the last few years. Must be a real hoot to ride.

It is, it absolutely is, you know how some bikes make you giggle and ride like a complete hooligan from the moment you swing a leg over them, that is one of them... it's like having a little voice in your head... "go on... jump off that! bunnyhop this! pedal faster! corner tighter! go go go!"

It's almost dangerous....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:37 pm 
Retro Guru

amedias wrote:
That's actually a Straight 6 with the Lefty.

You can get converters to use Lefty with 1 1/8 headtube, the 4B headtube is a bit short, but the S6 headtube is longer so works better with less spacers.

I came this close -----> <----- to buying a lefty fork today, then I noticed something right before I handed over the cash...

Your Straight 6 headtube.

BarneyBallBags 4 Banger.

My 4 Banger...

Note the difference in the head tubes. Mine it would seem, is significantly bigger than yours...:wink:

So the S6 headtube isn't necessarily longer than the 4 Banger. More important it would seem, is the frame size.

This of course means that the lefty won't fit my frame in standard guise, and even a lefty xl might be a squeeze.

You learn something new everyday on here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:08 am 
Retro Guru

yeah I should have clarified there.

"for the same given frame size the S6 is longer"

however if you have a much larger frame then obviously will be bigger!

The longest headtube (without headset cups fitted) I've managed to get a lefty to fit with is 118mm and I then had to use a very low stack crank brothers headset.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:53 pm 
Retro Guru

I've been looking into this whole lefty conundrum.

The standard cannondale lefty has a distance of 137.7mm between the yokes. My large framed four banger has a naked headtube length of 140mm.

Add an average sized headset, and that gives a stack height of about 170mm, miles to big to fit a lefty on to.

Cannondale do an XL version of the Lefty that they fit to their larger frames, which is 163mm between the yokes. A low profile headset from crank brothers adds 22mm to the headtube, so at 140mm + 22mm = 162mm, I could just about squeeze an XL lefty on the bike with 1mm to spare.

A tight fit, but it is just about do-able...

Question is, when did they start making XL lefty forks?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next