New project...2005 GT Brian Lopes 4X frame

Mindmap3

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I had bought a Specialized P1 cromo frame to build up as a cheap hardtail to muck about on, but it ended up ruining my life. It is really designed to be run as a single speed, adding the chain tensioner kit meant that the disc fouled the caliper because the wheel could not be slide forward enough. The mech hanger was a pain too...when the wheel was taken out it, the mech, hanger and chain flopped about. So.....

I bought this...

p4pb8453718.jpg

p4pb8453717.jpg

p4pb8453716.jpg

Its got normal drop outs! Hopefully it will be here soon, as the chap I bought it from is being a bit slow about getting it in the post (grrrrr).

I may need to make a few changes to the bits that I have collected to drop the front end (the P1 was almost the same as the SX Trail despite only having 130mm forks). Bar will be changed for a lower one, headset for a lower stacking one and possibly the forks too (I'd quite like a pair of Marzocchi 4X forks).

Always liked these. Interested to see what you do with it.
I guess they are pretty much an early chucker.
Looks in good nick!

It'll be getting all of the bits that I had collected for the P1; 03 Z1 Freerides, Diabolus cranks and stem, X9 mech and shifter, Hope M4's, Hope bulbs on D321's, my Blackspire C4 chain device etc.

I'm worried that the forks will be too long, so will not only ruin the geometry but also make it ride like a chopper. I'll get a lower stack headset and lower rise bars first before swapping forks round.

It does look in pretty good nick...he just needs to get off his butt and post it!

This is mine with Z1 Freerides
25252_1368602168647_4772441_n.jpg

I used it for trail riding but was a bit small, so got a Transition TransAM which does the job I wanted a hardtail for.

Cheers dude...how did it ride with 130mm forks? I'm worried that it's going to slacken things too much.

I just want a small hardtail for razzing about on, for jumps etc.

Cheers dude...how did it ride with 130mm forks? I'm worried that it's going to slacken things too much.

I just want a small hardtail for razzing about on, for jumps etc.

It was great fun to ride on trail centre type downhill's, and ripping around town. I think if you are doing proper dirt jumps the 130mm forks may be a bit to long. As a freeride type bike the Lopes frame with the Z1's was more bike than I could justify owning being more of a trail rider.

That's good to know....I'm not much of a dirt jumper, but there are a few doubles and table tops in the local woods along with some short DH lines. It'll just be for mucking about on.

If it ever arrives, I'll try it with the Z1's and see how I get on. A shorter fork like a Fox may be a better compromise.

For how your describing your riding I'd stick to around 120 to 130 forks.
This thread has reminded me to put my frame up for sale :D

Looking forward to seeing this. Seeing Lopes racing on a Lefty fork always made me wince when they were new tech.

What was the original spec of fork on the GT?

Latest posts

Back