2001 Orange Mr O

porridj

Retro Newbie
Feedback
View
Hey up guys, in my last few years of building my current project (Orange Mr from 2001 I think) I have come across this forum a few times for hints and tips etc. Thought it might be of interest to at least someone if I posted up what I have been doing...

This is a frame I bought off a friend for £25 including rear shock (Fox VanRC) when I told him I wanted a project....

IMG_3985.JPG

Hi & welcome

You got that for a bargain huh!!!

I have one of these and absolutely love it (link in my sig)

How are you planning on building it up?

What forks & the likes??

Cheers & looking forward to seeing it grow :D

G

Upon telling a friend, he said "no way...that's my old frame...I still have the forks for that!" to which I asked him how much.... "£25?"... Sold! To my delight it came attached to an old Hope c2 front brake.

So far frame + shock (apparently the good one! I am a hardtail rider so totally new to all this) + forks + front brake (no disc) = £50

I put the forks on my hardtail as an experiment as the frame is warrantied up to 200mm travel...it was horrid just in case you wondered! See the photo below...

IMG_20120526_151548.jpg

@Enid_Puceflange cheers :) The bike is actually built up behind me...but I have taken photos from start to "got impatient and cut corners with still loads to do" finish.

After I got the forks I replaced the seals (£10), after that I moved house 4 times and nothing got done (and in the process the rear swingarm got crushed [booo]) for about 3 years...until this year. A friend who works locally offered to blast and powder coat the frame, for nowt, legend of a guy that I have helped down at the local dryslope for a few years. After a few weeks, he told me it was ready to pick up...uber excited!

...and here is what was in the box...

IMG_20120611_221921.jpg

...as soon as I could I put the parts that I had in place...remembering that along the years of having it, I lent the front brake to someone and it never came back! Gutted...then I gave my brother a frame...and he produced a Hope c2 brake that he didn't need anymore...how convenient!

This was only 3 weeks ago.

IMG_20120612_185827.jpg

@Enid_Puceflange not only did I luck out on the price...I lucked out on them being in awesome condition! They are the plushest forks I have ever used...possibly the heaviest too!

However in the process of messing about with things...I may have broken the rebound adjuster....or something...as none of the twiddly bits do anything any more! I need to find a service manual or something!

Currrent build cost:
frame £25
forks £25
seals £10

I used to work in a bike shop, so know the lads in there quite well, and when I told one of them (actually the guy that sold me it now that I think about it) that I was finally getting round to building it up, he handed me his old and fairly knackered saint cranks, dmr v12 pedals, and bottom bracket. Winner!

After helping a friend build up his new OnOne inbred, he no longer had use for his 31.6 seat clamp. Win.

Trying to help a friend sell his 2nd bike to make way for a baby...when I went round he was having a clear out of parts..."you got a seat for that heavy piece of metal you are building?".... "no"....hands me an old school DH seat...yet another win!

Notice 2 things: 1) it pays to be nice and helpful to people, 2) more importantly...have awesome friends :D

after getting this far.... "I need to ride it!"

so I set about stripping my current bike OnOne summer season, of all it's essential parts. Bars, stem, brakes, gears and wheels...

I built it up and it weighed in at a "freakin ton"...but then I realised that I now had to ride that to work...and I still didn't have a seat post that fitted...oops...

From this...
IMG_20120623_142646.jpg

To this...
IMG_20120706_085817.jpg

This is why I chose these colours...they match my van haha :D

After 2 commutes to work on it...I decided it was time to test it out for it's original purpose...so I fine tuned and tightened. Only to realise that the hole I used for the shock was forcing the reservoir to hit the frame....I told you I was new to this! I rubbed some paint off...ruining my shiny new paint job.

I organised a ride to take this piece of solid iron out for a ride...only to remember that morning that I still didn't have a seat post...a quick bell to a friend and I had a 31.6 seatpost...albeit too long (and rushed...I put the seat on backwards)

IMG_20120708_101758.jpg

Latest posts

Back