An evolution of the species. King Kahuna and Raijin.

haggis

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
so this landed the other day. Lynskey made Kona Raijin and i thought as it was the direct descendent of the King Kahuna some obligatory shots of comparison would be necessary. Not sure how many King Kahunas were made over the years but there are only 250 Raijins being made. Have to say its a very nice frame and my intention had been to sell it as i'm a bit rooked and put the deposit down long ago so didnt want to lose it but i'm not so sure now. Think it might have to sit for a few months until i can furnish it properly.

Attachments

• 53.jpg
    53.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 1,676
  • 52.jpg
    52.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 1,676
  • 51.jpg
    51.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,676
  • 50.jpg
    50.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 1,676
  • 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 1,676
updates

Attachments

• 56.jpg
    56.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 1,668
  • 57.jpg
    57.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 1,668
  • 59.jpg
    59.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 1,668
  • 60.jpg
    60.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 1,668
  • 58.jpg
    58.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 1,668
  • 61.jpg
    61.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,668
  • 62.jpg
    62.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 1,668
Don't get me wrong but its lost all of its Kona'ness :?

Lynksey have taken their std Ti template and used that. Remove the branding and it could be a plethora of brands.

The original Hei Hei, the bullet capped Hei Hei and the King Kahuna are all unmistakable as to what they are.

My Russian/Chinese/??? Ti Voodoo has the same end caps as those on your Kona. I find it strange that Lynksey have gone with Paragon slider copies rather than the real think. These are the same as are used by the like of Pipedream etc

I love the idea of modern Ti Kona - especially a 29er but there is just something missing :?

My apologies if this come across as harsh, its not meant personally its more a frustration as to why Kona didn't make more of this opportunity.

That said looking forward to updates :LOL:

i think it still looks like a Kona. the picture below is a 20" same as mine and it has all the Kona looks for me. Long sloping top tube and compact rear triangle. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though and i dont think you were being too harsh at all :D To me though it was the first time i looked at a 29er and thought " i want one"

Attachments

• raijin 1x10.jpg
    raijin 1x10.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 1,588
I think with its limited run and its simple timeless looks that Raijin is going to become a real classic bike. I have tried to love 29s but just don't get on with them. That said, its going to look gorgeous.

I´ve pre-order a 19" one.. now waiting for it until august (they said)..

While arriving.. I am preparing the new project looking for the proper fork, pair of wheels..

Have someone else have more assembly pics??

Back