Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Lime green

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

Mindmap3

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
UPDATE: I want to get the frame repainted in the next few weeks so have added a poll to help me choose between the three colours that I've narrowed it down to.

Any comments or suggestions would be welcomed.

As the Chameleon project is not really going anywhere (due to lack of funds / poor choice of forks causing compatibility issues), I thought I would start a thread for my SX Trail.

Having been on a cycling break for a couple of years (I blame the Patriot 66 that I bought and loathed), at Christmas, I decided it was time for a new bike so I bought the frame and began collecting bits. The first incarnation involved a pair of Sherman forks but the bike never felt right with these - I think they were too short. They weren't very active either.

Pics after its maiden voyage...

IMAG0128.jpg

IMAG0125.jpg

I sold the Shermans and ended up with a pair of Z150's - these were awesome, but they weighed more than my house.

DSC03665.jpg

DSC03662.jpg

The Z150's went on E-Bay and I had to collect these from the Post Office on Friday.

DSC03698.jpg

DSC03697.jpg

A pair of 05 Talas RC2's that have been converted to Vanilla RC2's. They have shed teh best part of 2lbs off the last incarnation.

Some pics of the new forks fitted...

DSC03704.jpg

DSC03703.jpg

DSC03701.jpg

Full spec is:

2005 SX Trail, medium frame
2005 Fox 36 Van RC2's
Race Face Deus Headset
Thomson X4 Stem
Answer 780 DH Bars, uncut
Race Face Diabolus Cranks with Saint BB
Blackspire C4 Chain Guide
Sram X9 Shifter (10 speed)
Sram X9 rear mech, med cage
Sram chain
Shimano SLX cassette - 11-36teeth
Hayes Stroker Ace brakes with Superstar hoses
Azonic A Frame pedals
Charge Spoon saddle or SDG I Fly for longer rides
Race Face Evolve post cut down of SDG I Beam
NS Bike hubs on Mavix EN 321's
Maxxis Highrollers both 2.35, Super Tacky (f), 60a (r)

Plans are to try and shed a few pounds off it over the coming months - Superstar Nano pedals, Race Face Atlas cranks, E13 LG1 Train Guide and Conti Rubber Queens.

Here are some pics from a very muddy ride today.

IMAG0131.jpg

IMAG0132.jpg

IMAG0133.jpg

IMAG0134.jpg

I am very impressed with the 36's - easily as plush as the Z150's but mush stiffer, not as much brake dive and loads lighter.

Cheers Rob - it does ride pretty well. It feels like a baby Demo.

With regards to the stay protecttion - they're XC tubes so they're not too bad!

Cheers Chris. It's a touch over 35lbs, although over the next few months a few lighter parts will be added, which will hopefully get other to 32/33lbs. The Diabolus cranks weigh a ton, but I couldn't say no for £30!

When I get paid on Friday, I'm going to order some Continue Rubber Queens and Superstar Nano pedals which should knock a chunk of weigh off. I need to do the cranks before the end of august whilst Race Face are doing a trade in scheme; £50 trade in for old Race Face cranks against Turbines or Atlas.

As got its climbing, its not too bad....the biggest issue is the engine! I do find that only really long drags I run out of gears, but I can get up most stuff if I can be bothered. Sometimes I miss the ability to sit and spin up a long drag.

Pic heavy update.....

Having banged on about reducing the weight of the bike for a while now, I bought a pair of Race Face Atlas AM cranks from STW and a pair of Superstare Nano flats. The Conti Rubber Queens are out of stock in Germany (a shop there has them for 35 euros each rather than fifty quid each from this country), so they will have to wait.

As I changed bits, I decided to weigh the old and the new....

Diabolus on the scales

DSC03714.jpg

Atlas AM's on the scales

DSC03709.jpg

Nearly 300g difference.......I do love the Diabolus cranks though. They are now on the P1 project.

Azonic A Frames (how much!)

DSC03713.jpg

The Nano's on the scales

DSC03721.jpg

A total saving just over 1lb.

The new seat post is a bit lighter as well....especially as I cut it shorter than the previous one!

The only downside to the new cranks is that there are not as many axle spacers to help with the chainline so there is a bit more rubbing than there was before. This isn't too much of an issue because I was planning to buy an E13 trail guide next month.

Pics of the bits fitted.

DSC03722.jpg

Not the most exciting update, but hey ho.

I'm thinking about not changing the wheels and getting some XT brakes instead. From Germany, including Ice Tech rotors they are cheaper tha CRC for the brakes alone. Hmmmmmm.

Good little update. I didnt know there was so much weight difference between the cranks!

cyfa2809":2bs4marg said:
Good little update. I didnt know there was so much weight difference between the cranks!

I was pretty surprised too - although the Diabolus cranks are huge and mega stiff. They also have flames, which makes them very cool.

They look good on the P1....whcih will be finished soon. Just need a set of wheels, a chain device and a shifter.

Latest posts

Back