1999 Scott USA Team Racing

EarlofBarnet

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
1999 Scott USA Team Racing

Always nice when a bike comes up locally on eBay and is collection only. Picked this up on Tuesday evening and am really pleased with it. Description wasn't great so didn't expect too much, but have been pleasantly surprised with the spec.

The 'Team Racing' model was the top of the range aluminium frame before the Endorphin frames came in. Seems really light, has ovalised tubing for the top and downtubes and is double-butted.

Catalogue: http://retromtb.pl/pdf/scott99.pdf

Ad picture:

ScottTeam.jpg

Spec:

1999 Scott USE Team Racing Double-Butted Aluminium frame
1998 Manitou TPC forks
Hope hubs on Mavic X517 Citron rims
Full XT M750 Groupset
Hope Disc Brakes
Michelin Wildgripper Sprint tyres

Got it completely stripped and everything seems to work as it should. Bike has been stood for a few years and from the eBay description I was expecting it to need a lot of work. However, the hubs are fine. Forks seem ok. Pistons move freely on the discs. All seems ok.

To do list:
Service forks
Fit new b/b
New disc pads
Bleed brakes and flush through with new fluid
New gear cables
New headset bearings
Chain
Re-tension wheels
General clean and degrease

Bike is now fully stripped and majority of parts have been throughly cleaned and inspected. Given the money I spent on this bike I won't be trying to make it 100% perfect. I'll get it in good useable condition and just leave any cosmetic marks etc.

Frame cleaned and polished:

IMG_2009.jpg

IMG_2010.jpg

Off work for the next week so should have it up and running again while I'm off. Spend a few hours last night cleaning the drivetrain up. Really pleased everything is XT spec, was surprised the cassette and shifters were too.

If it ends up working well and doing the job then this will be my Mayhem bike :)

Nice one. I thought it would be you who out bid me on this! Looking forward to seeing this all cleaned up.

Bike's coming back together now. Really had to scrub the chainset and cassette to shift most of the dirt! Forks have been serviced and weren't too bad inside. Just waiting on disc pads and chain arriving in the post and then should be able to finish it off. A mate had a mech hanger which was lucky.

Front and rear disc pads £5.49 pr (£10.98 )
Gear Cables £1.19 ea (£2.38 )
Chain £14.20
Total: £27.56

Could do with a different saddle though, will have to keep my eyes peeled. A Scott one like the original would be cool, but can't seem to find any second-hand.

Will get some pictures up later on today.

Mech hanger collected and fitted along with rear mech, chain and cables.

be04f634.jpg

8f02d0eb.jpg

569c59f0.jpg

Still waiting on brake pads and need to bleed the brakes. Also need to source a replacement rear mech as mines missing the spring tensioning bit that sits against the hanger. Pretty please overall :)

Handlebars are approx 7" lower on this than my Genesis. Oh how things have changed!

Brakes have been bled and new pads fitted. Think that's it now! Will hopefully give it a short test ride this afternoon before taking off-road.

Have a little issue with the adjustable reservoir on the front brake. The adjustable bit is stuck in the reservoir pot. Really need to get this out so I can get the front brake 100%.

Looking forward to giving this a proper run out and seeing what it's like. Then it's future can be decided :)

Had a bit of a fiddle with the brake lever and have sorted it! Both brakes now fully operational. Pretty impressed with how powerful they are, given their age. Think it's ready to go off-road now :)

Rode through to my local bike shop and back yesterday, putting 20 miles in on the bike. Pretty impressed with it! Hadn't replaced the dodgy rear mech so had a few shifting issues, but apart from that all was good. Got home to find replacement mech waiting for me, which has now been fitted. Roll on gear changing goodness.

Bike weighs in at 26.3lbs as it stands. Popped wheels and brakes up for sale and may go down the v-brake route in a bid to drop some weight. Roll on Mountain Mayhem!

Back