1998 Kona Stab

Gaz_ur

Dirt Disciple
Hi Everyone

Just wanted to share with you some pictures of a Kona Stab I have just finished building for my wife. The build is not a restoration back to factory spec but based around a 1998 Kona Stab frame and intended as a fun bike. So hope you like it?

The spec is as follows with most items being secondhand (fleabay etc)except for the tyres and headset:

· 1998 Kona Stab 17" frame
· Sunline V Two headset
· RST Hi 5 forks (120mm travel elastomer)
· Fox Vanilla R rear shock (came with frame)
· Avid single digit 3 V brakes
· Truvativ Howitzer double chain set
· Hussefelt cranks
· Shimano STX RC rapid fire shifters
· Orange Super Cross OS bars
· Kona 50mm stem
· Yeti grips
· Shimano Deore XT rear mech (came with frame)
· 8 speed Shimano HG rear cassette
· Front mech (not currently fully fitted)
· Kona seat post
· WTB Power V saddle
· Specialized double wall Alex rims (with Specialized front hub and Shimano rear)
· Continental Mountain King 2.4 tyres

Having never attempted to build up a bke from parts before my wife and I are pleased with the results and it ended up being quite cost effective as well. So now it's off to the woods to get it dirty!

I also built up a Kona A single speed for my own use, which I'll put up as a separate post. :D

Attachments

• Kona Stab - Rear.jpg
    Kona Stab - Rear.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 2,901
  • Kona Stab - Front.jpg
    Kona Stab - Front.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 2,900
  • Kona Stab - Front Close.jpg
    Kona Stab - Front Close.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 2,901
  • Kona Stab - Side.jpg
    Kona Stab - Side.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 2,901
Very nice condition and yes indeed it's the 99 model paint scheme. By comparison my 98 flame paint job frame I'm doing up is rough as guts with stone chips and scratches all over it.

You dont see this colour scheme as much. Its good.

Th eonly thing id say was change out the orange bar to a kona one for that authentic ride.

Many thanks to markwashington for pointing out that it is a 1999 frame as opposed to a 1998, which is what it was sold to me as.

Glad you all like it and thanks for the suggestions as to how to improve it. I do have a set of Kona OS bars but they are a little marked so I used the Orange ones instead that I was going to put on my Pro-Flex. I'll look out for a better set of Kona's then and look to swap them over at some point.

As for the brakes, the frame has caliper mount at the rear but as I scimped a little on the forks (~£40 for the Hi 5's) , these are old school so no caliper mount. But if I do upgrade the forks then I can also upgrade the brakes at the same time.

At present I have not cracked the front mech set up yet. As currently fitted when the chain it on the grannie ring it fouls the frame. So my guess is that I would need to put a spacer between the chainset and the BB? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

:D

Gaz_ur":1xks76pu said:
At present I have not cracked the front mech set up yet. As currently fitted when the chain it on the grannie ring it fouls the frame. So my guess is that I would need to put a spacer between the chainset and the BB? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

:D

Could be that the frame is'nt designed for a granny ring, if you look at the catalogue pic it ran a single ring with retainer plates, may need to go up a bit in ring size or just resort to a single ring, make sure the cassette has a 32 tooth big sprocket to help on the hills.

Back