1999 Santa Cruz Chameleon...major update. Rebuild Nr 2 (p4)

Mindmap3

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I bought a part built project from another member of RB, to build up a bike for the other half because I sold her last bike so that I could get my SX Trail finished sooner....

I gave the bike a wash today before beginning to strip it down...

DSC03640.jpg

DSC03639.jpg

DSC03637.jpg

DSC03643.jpg

DSC03641.jpg

As you can see the frame is slightly marked / tarnished etc. Upon further investigation, it would appear that the frame was once black and has had the paint stripped and been polished; there is small patches of left over paint in some of the welds and hard to nooks and crannies.

First job was to remove the decals and stickers....which proved harder than I first though. Thank you Mr Nitomors...

DSC03648.jpg

DSC03647.jpg

DSC03646.jpg

DSC03644.jpg

More to follow....

I assume the frame is from '99 because the frame number starts with 99.

Anyway, once all of the decals, stickers and glue was removed I decided to start to polish the frame. It is still a work in progress, but here are some pics...

DSC03654.jpg

DSC03651.jpg

DSC03651.jpg

DSC03650.jpg

DSC03649.jpg

Pictures of the side that I have not yet touched for comparison.

DSC03653.jpg

DSC03652.jpg

You can still see where the decals were - the frame is still polished were they were. The amount of scratches discolouration makes it look they are silver!

slope":2d763j04 said:
Damn that looks good.
Can't wait to see it finished!!

Thanks - its going to take a while to get done. I need to get the SX Trail sorted first (needs new pedals and tyres this month, a new set of wheels and some Fox 36's). I will keep an eye out for the bits that I am intending to put on this and collect them as I go.

I need a set of X9 shifters, new post, bars and stem (Easton hopefully), brakes (Hope Mini / M4) and cranks.

I've e-mailed Gil M about some custome decals so hopefully they will be sorted in the next few weeks.

Updates may be a bit slow, but I will make sure I do them as I make progress.

Once this is finished, the Cannondale in the back ground will get some TLC but I think that may be an expensive project.

Finished polishing the frame today, cleaned and fitted the front mech and pushed in the headset cups.

Here are a few pics - pretty pleased with the finish. Just need to get some images to Gil for the decals and will get those on.

DSC03668.jpg

DSC03669.jpg

DSC03670.jpg

DSC03671.jpg

DSC03672.jpg

The seat post will be going, I don't think the dark blue will tie in the colour scheme (which will involve pink as it is for my other half).

Also cleaned the Z1's up and polished the crown and brace. I also noticed that the crown was sitting too high....I refitted them and the adjusters smack into the down tube (they did before as well)....looks like they will definitely be going.

DSC03680.jpg

I think the image is caused by the pigmy headtube. I had a similar problem when I put Pikes on my small MkI - it wasn't as bad, so I ended up filing down part of the adjuster.

trxrincon":2a3mflmx said:
She's looking good dude! Oh I like the cdale too! :cool: :cool:

Few pics of the Cannondale (its a bit grubby)

DSC03657.jpg

DSC03656.jpg

DSC03655.jpg

It was my uncle's (I inherited it when he passed away a few years ago, and it has since sat in the garage). I'm hoping that the purpe USE post, USE bar and purple bar ends are in my aunt's garage (I'll check next time I see her). BB and headset are knackered - plan is to rebuild it with the things that I loved when I first got into riding in '97.... Pace Pro Class, XTR etc.

cyfa2809":3w4d56jy said:
Look forward to this.

You lucky!

Want to see the sx too please.

Another off topic post....my SX Trail.

DSC03667.jpg

DSC03666.jpg

DSC03665.jpg

DSC03663.jpg

DSC03662.jpg

I picked the frame up relatively cheap on e-bay, a bit rough round the edges but solid. Plan is to ditch the Diabolus of Atlas AM's (got a mega deal on the Daibolus cranks so couldn't resist), a pair of 36's because the Z150's weigh more than my house and some lighter / nicer wheels, these will then end up on the P1 which only needs a rear mech, chain device and brakes once these wheels are free.

Latest posts

Back