Cannondale Scalpel 2011 - XX - sub 20lbs target build

trek_y

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've been looking for a frame of the new design Scalpels since they came out last year and finally got my hands on one ! :D Had to import it from the US but all in paid less than I expected despite the import duty / shipping etc. Bit of a gamble as sending it back would be costly but it came really well packed and in Arizona condition with a light coating of gen-u-ine US of A dust, don't think this has ever seen rain or mud.
Firstly its soooooo light, put it on the scales and with the BB30 adapter bearings installed comes in at 1750g as you see it. Blimey ! :shock:
Second, OMG thats a mahoosive headtube ! I had hoped that a Hope 1.5 to 1.125 reducer headset would fit but no of course this being Cannondale it has a slightly larger diameter and a couple of alloy cups bonded into the carbon which are quite shallow so after a little bit of research found there is only 1 headset which'll fit a Cane Creek cartridge bearing one (model number KP05:cool: available thankfully from Qwerty Cycles in the UK who are stockists of all things Cannondale.
Headset is now on order to the tune of £45 and I am hopefully going to get building over the weekend.

Attachments

• scalpel-shock.jpg
    scalpel-shock.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 5,068
  • scalpel-headtube.jpg
    scalpel-headtube.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 5,068
  • scalpel-frame.jpg
    scalpel-frame.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 5,064
Ah bb30!

Are you going to stick a kcnc adapter in there?

How does the sus work? I mean i know how it works but how does it feel? Flexy frame is different to the feel of pivots?

always keen to know how these ride with suspension and those rear stays, bloody nice bikes mind :twisted:

cyfa2809":2y9sxc4x said:
Ah bb30!
Are you going to stick a kcnc adapter in there?
How does the sus work? I mean i know how it works but how does it feel? Flexy frame is different to the feel of pivots?

Yep BB30, E-type mech, mega oversize headtube - it's got all the fiddly things to sort out in one package - at least it came with a seatclamp !
Also got a Problem Solvers BB30 to HT2 adapter in there as well so my cranks should go straight in.
The prospect of those skinny chainstays flexing enough to give 80mm of rear travel I find quite alarming looking at them but Cannondale state no rider weight limit on these frames and have been developing the Scalpel pivotless rear end for some time now. I'm hoping its the best of both worlds, light as a hardtail with more travel than a soft-tail and a full suss feel. We'll see :)

im sure i read somewhere about a weight limit, not sure thats right?

im around 100kg still, so will happily test it :LOL:

The new frames (2011 on) are made with a new carbon layup Cannondale call Ballistec and there is no rider weight limit stated - honest guv ! - the older ones do have a limit and they also reduced the travel from 100 on the previous model to 80mm on this one so perhaps this is part of it ?

You would be welcome to come and have a go once finished. :)

Got the headset through in the post today and it has 2 lower cups, one which sits flush and one which gives an extra 12mm stack to allow clearance for some suspension forks - don't quite know which one to use with my SIDs ???

scalpel

I'd said the headset would be an issue! I did think i'd read only 1 typed fitted it.

looks nice though, should be a superb bike to ride I reckon. :cool:

Back