Orange Sub3 - Build Thread - now with pic

Carge

Retrobike Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I picked up an Orange Sub3 last night - with the intention of a fairly light XC build.
It's a black 2003 16" frame - and the intention is that it'll replace my 1999 18" MrXC, as I wanted something a little smaller and less rear travel.

So, it came with some Manitou forks, Hope Mini brakes, RaceFace Turbine cranks, a SID XC rear shock and the wheels are Hope hubs laced to WTB rims with no-name double butted spokes.

Most of this will be up for sale shortly as I have other bits lined up to go on it. Such as
Pace RC38 LT - built new by Tim last year
Tune Bigfoot cranks - polished by Wadsy
Hope Ti BB
Hope Mini brakes from the MrXC
USE Atom bars from GT-Steve
Syntace F99 120mm stem
Dura-Ace 7700 rear mech and 28-12 cassette
SLR Flite saddle from Wadsy
Crank Bros Eggbeaters

I'm looking for an RP2 or RP23 (ProPedal) that's 165 e2e and 38mm stroke - (6.5" & 1.5" in old money)

main.php

Thanks to Reluctant, the frame has been stripped of parts - thanks bud!
I bolted most of the new parts on t'other night
And it is with Wadsy at the mo for some fettling.

RC-38LT, Atom bars and Syntace fitted
Hope Ti BB and Tune Bigfoot fitted - lacking a middle ring but there's one on the way
Dura Ace rear mech and cassette fitted
My old Hope/Mavic317 wheels on there too.

And on the scales - it's clocking 24lb :D

The weight will drop further with
New wheels - Hope Pro2 & Stans Crests with DT Rev spokes - 470g saving
Syntace P6 seatpost
Eggbeaters

So hopefully should end up sub 23lb :)

Some of the bits fitted so far:-
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Waiting for the Syntace seatpost to arrive...
Dura-Ace mech will have some shiny KCNC jockeys tomorrow....

Sweet, hows about a full photo though?! And surely the turbines are lighter (and prettier/more period correct) than those cranks?

Full photo will be done once it's built :)

The Tune cranks are 396g - I don't think Turbines get that light?

Really? Fair play, that's pretty light, I thought they were some weighty middleburn-esque beasts. I'm just a fan of turbines, they're nice looking cranks :)

I agree - the Sub3 had some Isis Turbines on it - which look nice - but the Tune Bigfoots are supposed to be pretty strong too - as well as light.

With a Tune Ti inner ring - which is 20g - with Ti bolts
Stronglight middle - which is 40g
And the Pace outer - which I can't remember...... :)

sub 3

Sub 3 is a great short travel bike, though I had an 18" frame one and felt it a little too big for me? But i replaced the shock with a new RP3 and also changed all the pivot bearings so it was really nice and plush after that. Big problem i found with the frame though was damn low BB height! Kept clattering it off rocks etc!! :?

So ended up stripping it and selling it. Impressed how light you have yours down to!!! :shock: Mine was quite a heavy beast i thought?

Though it was quite a lot of fun blasting around Morzine on it for a week! :LOL:
here's a pic of my old one:
100_0984.jpg

Re: sub 3

GMC":hida5pur said:
Sub 3 is a great short travel bike.......damn low BB height! Kept clattering it off rocks etc!! :?

Though it was quite a lot of fun blasting around Morzine on it for a week! :LOL:

Not quite the bike for Morzine perhaps - short-travel XC bike after all.
I think they revised the BB height on a later (2004?) model

Back