2000-2001 Santa Cruz Bullit

EarlofBarnet

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Recent bit of eBay scouring led, as it does, to buying. Advertised as 2004, I think it's a good 5 years earlier than that given the brake bosses on the rear stays. Can anyone date it for me?

For the money I didn't think it looked too bad a bike. Hopefully it is a 17" as advertised, as any bigger will be too big for me. It needs a good check over and service, which isn't a problem. Should hopefully all come together in to a nice bike.

Advert pics:

ebay.jpg

ebay1.jpg

ebay2.jpg

ebay3.jpg

When it arrives I'll give it a strip down and check everything over before rebuilding it. Planning to run a double chain ring up front rather than a single, should make it a bit more useable. Seat and bars can go too.

It's 00 or 01 not 90's

The Bullitt didnt exist prior to 00 so that's the very earliest, you need to check the max rear disk size because it's very likely you'll be limited to 165 on most hopes or if you run big uns you'll get away with 185 only just

The fox shock dates it too because for 02 you got a White elephant I mean 5th element shock and the capability to run a 205 rear disk

Bent top tube indicates medium or large frame size, the small had a straight top tube

Thanks for the reply. That's more info than I could find on the web.

Here's hoping its a Medium as I may just get away with it. We'll see! Shame to sell it if it's too big.

Disc size should be ok, I usually run 140mm on my xc bikes so 165 should be ok on a play bike. Weird they limited the size on such a bike though, thought they'd allow for 185 on any hub.

Bike should be with me on Tue :)

205 rotors only became popular in mid 01 as hope and Hayes both got on the big rotor boat

The Bullitt was designed as a smaller travel version of the DH Super 8 bike with 6" travel rather than 8" and the general downsizing of front triangle and swingarm also brake tech moved from 2 to 4 piston, meaning they thought smaller disks may work better...

I bought my 01 in late 01, just missing the 02 by a couple of weeks

The 185 on bigun is a right tight fit, only missing the rear stay by 2mm. I did try a 185 on a regular hub but it hit the frame

I'm 5'10 and my medium has been perfect for dh racing in the uk

I also bought a longer travel rear shock which boosted travel to 7" and with boxxers up front it's great fun

Considering I paid £1100 for my frame 10 years ago it's paid me back...

Sounds like it's done you well! Ten years is impressive.

Can see what you mean with the change in brake tech, didn't think of that.

And it's landed! :cool:

Just un-packed it now and quickly put it together. It looks ok, hopefully come together in to a really nice bike once it's had a bit of tlc.

Size wise, it measured 16.5" centre to top, which is perfect for me.

The ad said it had Marzocchi Bomber Z1 forks, but upon arrival they are 66RC2X's. A much better specced fork. So a nice surprise. Another bonus is that it didn't have a front brake in the ad, but after buying the bike the seller said he'd found a caliper and rotor I could have. In the box was a nice Hope M4 and it looks to work fine (no stuck pistons either).

So, I'm one happy Matt!

Plan is to remove all the extra decals from it and give it a good cut and polish. The forks need a service, so will need to look in to that too. Going to remove the chain device and fit a front mech and a granny ring. New saddle needs put on. Then a bit of a general service.

Nice find. Always fancied a Santa Cruz. Have to say not a big fan of seat or the bars so I'm glad they're going.

The seat is HUGE, I've never seen anything like it! That's off the bike now and has been replaced with a smaller Club Roost one I had in the spares box.

Will hopefully do a bit more work on it tonight :)

Had a spare 30 mins so started on the Bullit. Dodgy decals removed and cranks off. All looking ok :)

76bbb96a.jpg

8a94429d.jpg

420f3680.jpg

36c512c6.jpg

Should a bash guard protect the ring...

9a29b88c.jpg

:)

Was ready to strip down the forks but unlike 66's I've worked on before these down have 6 sided nuts on the top of the legs. They need a splined socket to remove. Will have to see if the local bike shop have anything that'll fit.

Back