A Bunch of Oranges

Mark90

Dirt Disciple
Hi all, just throught I'd intoduce myself and my collection of Oranges.

Back in '98 I had a 'Carrera' (still do in the back of the shed) and wanted a proper muntain bike. I was torn between and Kona Caldera or a P7. My GF at the time fell in love with a 14" caldera, so P7 it was to be. Then I tried a P7 and an O2. The O2 had it, felt more sprightly. I've never looked back and love the ride of the 02. Had a few years away from 'serious' mountain biking, but now getting closer to 40 I'm trying to get fit again and rekindled the mtb bug.

Here is my 1998 O2, spot the deliberate mistake...

IMG_2704.jpg

IMG_2705.jpg

Still mostly standard spec, only major chaage being the the forks which are a recent addition:
Forks: Fox F80 RLT (2004 ish??) - Replaced standard RST 461's, day and night difference, should have done it sooner, especially as the colour matches the seat :cool:
Drive train: Mix of XT and LX 8 spd
Brakes: Avid V's with Kool stop pads
Wheels: Mavic 221 rims on LX rear and unbranded front hubs
Bars: Orange Supercross 660mm - replaced original 600mm Supercross bars
Stem: Orange 90mm - replaced original Orange 110mm
Seat: Original Orange branded embroidered
Seat post: Original Orange branded
Grips: Stange lock on's - replaced worn out Orange friction addictions
Pedals: DMR V8's

A few years back this Evo2 came up at a decent price, so i bought it. It's used for the missus to potter about on when we do 'family' rides. It's a little bit big for her really but it does for the level of riding she does, and I can pop the seat up and use it as a pub bike.

IMG_2708.jpg

Again I think it's still mostly standard spec, but having not had from new don't know full history:
Forks: Manitou Spiders
Drive train: Mix of XT and LX 9 spd
Brakes: Avid V's
Wheels: WTB rims on Ritchey hubs
Bars: Orange Supercross 660mm with bar ends and Orange friction addiction grips
Stem: Hi-rise adjustable 100mm - replaced original Orange 110mm

The latest addition to the fleet is this 2001 Patriot, which I'm intending to build up as a budget 'All Mountain/Freeride' bike. I'll no doubt be under using the frame. One day maybe I'll justify the cost of a 5 to replace it, till then. The parts will include as much Orange branded kit as I can find (yes I know I'm a bit of a tart :cool: ).

IMG_2710.jpg

IMG_2711.jpg

Some parts are already in the bag, others are either in transit or still to be sourced

Forks: 2001 Marzocchi Bomber Z1 MCR 130mm - Possibly original to the frame??
Shock: Fox Float R
Drive train: Mix of XT and LX 9 spd
Brakes: Avid Elixir 3's F&R
Wheels: Mavic EN521 rims on M525 hubs
Bars: Orange Supercross + 660mm
Stem: Orange Stalk+ 70mm
Seat: Orange branded embroidered - from a 10th anniversary Clockwork
Seat post: Orange branded - from a Crush
Grips: Stange lock on's - to match the O2
Pedals: DMR V8's - to match the O2

Hoping to get it built up over the next couple of weeks, depending on part acquisitions, and will post some updates.

Nice collection.

Patriot looks nice. If you ever want to flog on those Z1s let me know.

Nice collection going on there.

What was the deliberate mistake? No chain?

The patriot is a dh bike as is. Looks in very good condition.

I didn't notice it mentioned in your post but the Evo2 is a 1999 model, it's a cracking bike and colour. As far as I can make out the spec is almost standard. I think they did a higher spec model with better forks and full XT. I've got a 1999 catalogue somewhere so I'll have to root it out and have a look.

cyfa2809":2jjr7ywv said:
Nice collection going on there.

What was the deliberate mistake? No chain?

The patriot is a dh bike as is. Looks in very good condition.

Thanks. Yes the missing chain is the deliberate mistake. I was in process of cleaning and servicing when I decided to take the photos. Have now decided to treat it to new chain/cassette/middle/granny as it was about due and I was having chain suck in the mud at FoD last saturday.

The Patriot looks better in the photos than in the flesh. It has been well used and not taped, has lots of small marks in the paint but no real damage. Interestingly it appears to have had a respray in pearlescent white at some point, there are some small marks under the paint. It did go back to Orange in 2003 for front shock mount work so maybe that's when it was done. It also explains why it has the plate on the down tube as I think 2001 bikes (as Orange confirmed it si 2001) had the mounts welded directly to the down tube without the strengthening plate.

markwashington":2jjr7ywv said:
I didn't notice it mentioned in your post but the Evo2 is a 1999 model, it's a cracking bike and colour. As far as I can make out the spec is almost standard. I think they did a higher spec model with better forks and full XT. I've got a 1999 catalogue somewhere so I'll have to root it out and have a look.

I wasn't sure exactly what year it was, I thought it was an early one though. Would be good if you can confirm the original spec. I suspect only the seat has been changed from new (has a gel seat), even the tatty friction adiction grips are probably originals. Oh and the stem that I changed for my missus, the original had a sripped bolt and was too long/low for her taste. Was owned by a teenage girl from new till I bought it. Her dad sold it after she grew up and moved out.

Finished building up the Patriot last night. It's built from mostly second hand parts with a few new bits thrown in here and there. I do all my own bike maintenance, always have done, but this is the first time I have built up a bike almost from scratch, a very satisfying process.

The 'final' spec is as below. Probably not final as these things do tend to evolve over time.

Frame: Orange Patriot 2001
Forks: 2001 Marzocchi Bomber Z1 MCR 130mm
Shock: Fox Float R
Drive train: Mix of XT and LX 9 spd with Goodridge cables
Brakes: Avid Elixir 3's 180F/160R
Wheels: Mavic EN521 rims on M525 hubs
Tyres: Continental Vertical Protection 26x2.3
Bars: Orange Supercross + 660mm
Stem: Orange Stalk+ 70mm
Seat: Orange branded embroidered - from a 10th anniversary Clockwork
Seat post: Orange branded - from a Crush
Seat clamp: Hope QR
Grips: Stange lock on's - to match the O2
Pedals: DMR V8's - to match the O2

Weight is 33lb, which is 6lb heavier than my O2.

A few pics this morning before taking it out for the inaugural ride:

IMG_2724.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

And a couple following the ride around Leigh Woods 'Yer Tiz' trail. Did a few laps of the trail and the skills course that I'm familiar with to get a feel for the bike and get the shock settings dialed in.

IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

Sorry if this post is a bit pic heavy, but I like looking at pics of other people's bikes so assume everyone does :D

Nice looking bike that patriot! :) I've had a couple (a 2001 and a 200:cool:, and they're lovely bikes. Looks like a good XC/AM spec going on there, 33lbs isn't too bad given that they're not the lightest bikes!

Back