2004 Salsa Ala Carte 853

benbonty

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Thought I should probably post a couple of my bikes up on the site, this is my only modern ride.....

I picked the Frame and Forks up early last year and have been slowly putting it together and getting it to where I want it! I'm not sure what year the frame dates from, as I can't find much info on the more modern ones, but its a nice ride and I'm pleased with it! I've got some nice 100mm Rebas to go on soon and the cro-moto will be sold on!

I have a few new parts to fit in the next couple of evenings or as soon as I get chance, mentioned in brackets, but the current spec. is as follows:

Frame: Salsa Ala Carte Reynolds 853
Fork: RockShox Reba RL ti

Headset: WTB Momentum Grease Guard - Will get a King Rasta or Black shortly
Stem: Thomson
Handlebar: RaceFace NEXT Carbon Lo-Riser
Grips: RaceFace Lock-0n

Brakes: Hope Tech M4 Special Edition Green
Brake Pads: Hope
Hoses: Hope
Brake Levers: Hope Tech M4 Special Edition Green

Shifters: Shimano Deore XT
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT
Derailleur Cables: Shimano Deore XT
Cassette: Shimano Deore XT
Chain: Shimano Deore XT
Cranks: RaceFace Turbine LP ISIS
Crank Bolts: RaceFace - I've ordered some Middleburn ones...
Chainrings: RaceFace
Chainring bolts: SRP Alu Green
Bottom Bracket: Crank Bros ISIS
Pedals: Wellgo Magnesium - I'm going to try SPD's again, didn't like them in the 90's but I'm willing to give them another try!

Hub Skewers: Salsa Rasta Ti
Rims: Mavic Crossride - I'm hunting for some nice new wheels
Hubs: Mavic Crossride - I'm hunting for some nice new wheels
Tyres: Onza Aggro - Going to fit some Conti Mountain Kings this weekend
Tubes: Continental

Saddle: Charge Spoon Ti + Leather
Seatpost: Thomson
Seatpost Binder: Salsa Liplock

Opinions welcome and gratefully received!

looks good! the only two bits i dont like are the bars and tyres, and you're changing them so job jobbed.

jamabikes":10bcmplt said:
looks good! the only two bits i dont like are the bars and tyres, and you're changing them so job jobbed.

Yes the bars are awful, very heavy, just some donated by a kind mate to get the thing built! I have some lovely RaceFace NEXT carbon ones now though which will go on tonight.

Tyres were a trial too to see if Charge Splashbacks were the way to go..... I'm not really up to speed with modern rubber so any suggestions would be appreciated!

saltyman":1c5z8ubj said:

Thanks man, I just need to get the REBAs, brakes and other parts fitted and hits the trails now! I'll get some decent photos when I've done.

Loving your fat bikes by the way, I'm really tempted to grab one for myself! :cool:

I don't suppose anyone knows a decent source for decals for these do they? I know Gil could do me some replicas, but the I would've thought new ones would still be available considering the bike is less than ten years old....... the metal headbadge would probably be an issue for Gil too!

Love the tyres, can't wait to see it with the new bars... and fix up your cables! :shock: :D

FST4RD":18i5umzr said:
Love the tyres, can't wait to see it with the new bars... and fix up your cables! :shock: :D

Thanks bud, hoses and cables will be done when the new brakes and forks are fitted, this was just a quick temporary build, I saw no point in shortening the hoses when the brakes and forks are to be changed!

Simply beautiful, any Reynolds 853 frame that is painted gloss red does it for me! :cool:

shaun":263gk86n said:
Simply beautiful, any Reynolds 853 frame that is painted gloss red does it for me! :cool:

Thank you bud! It's looking even better now as I've got the low rise carbon bars on and the new saddle and brakes. I'll try to get the forks on this weekend and get the brake hoses sorted! I just need to try to make a decision on tyres now!

Back