2002 Santa Cruz Superlight... 10th anniversary inspiration

netgio

Dirt Disciple
Hi all....my SC SL and I have been together to 10 years and I've been deliberating whether to replace or refresh.... Frankly, since it fits/rides so well I'm going to spruce her up... Just a question of where to invest....

Current spec:
2002 (bought late 2001) Santa Cruz Superlight - Large in anodised orange.
Manitou Black Elite (80/100)
CrossMax (non-disc)
Brakes F&R - Avid SD Ti
Levers - Paul Love Levers
Front mech - XT
Rear mech - XTR
Crank - Race Face forged
HS - Chris King no thread set (Orange)
Stem - Thompson
Bar - Easton MonkeyLite Riser
Post - USE Alien
Saddle - Terry Fly Ti
Cables - Gore throughout
chain - KMC SL9 Silver
cassette - XT 11-32

The fork needs to go... And a decent fork will probably be disc only, so new wheels ad brakes are probably in order too.

I want to keep the weight down so I was thinking SIDs, a some CrossMax Discs and Hope mini's.... But I'm open to inspiration...soooo what would you do?

Budget mainly limited by my powers of spousal persuasion ;-)

Will add pics shortly.

Cheers
Gary

Hi Gary,
Sounds nice!

You need to start by deciding what it doesn't do at the minute you would like it to do, and what colour you want it. :cool:

You are going through the same dilema I did a few months back. This year is my 15th anniversary, and I decided a modernisation was best for my Tazmon.

Current build includes:

Judy SL forks with Englund Air Carts
Mavic 517 Rims with Goldtec Hubs
Avid SD7 VBrakes and Levers
Middleburn RS8 cranks and rings
USE Alien Post & Flite Saddle
M950 XTR Rear Mech
LX Front Mech
XT 8 Speed Shifters
No Name riser bars and stem

I decided that I wanted to sympathetically modernise the brakes, suspension and tyres, but wanted it to still look like a 15 year old bike.
So sitting in the shed I have:
Sid RLT Ti forks
Avid BB7 Discs
Hope Pro II Evo hubs with Stans Crest Rims & Rocket Ron tyres (ready for the leap to tubeless)
Easton EA70 Risers

Still need to source an 8/9 speed XTR front mech that will fit and a shiny new stem (purely a vanity thing).

I will probably be respraying it in a different colour to its original yellow (probably a light blue) but will be fitting period correct decals. Because of the colour I doubt I will get away with too much bling, but Gold anodised might look ok.

Because I am not trying to make it look like a brand new model I have gone with cable discs so I can keep my original levers and use the cable guides properly, I won't be upgrading to 9/10 speed because I don't see an advantage and all my bits work fine.

It will hopefully end up being exactly what I need, which is the same sweet handling I have gotten used to for 15 years, but with better front suspension and brakes I don't mind using in the mud.

In order of importance, I would:
Replace anything tatty, the tyres/grips/cables/chain.
Stick a new fork in it, along with new wheels and brakes.
Consider a new rear shock (what do you have at the minute?).
Lastly respray, unless that is really important to you. Takes a while to get done, can be expensive, and obviously everything needs stripping.

As you say it fits so well, there is no point changing the bars and stem, unless they look tired or you fancy a new riding position. Likewise with the saddle and post, no point changing really unless they look knackered.

Unless you want 10 speed, barring condition, there is no reason to change the shifters and mechs.

Keep us posted. :D

Nice bikes!
The biggest advances in the last ten years have been suspension, F&R, brakes , and tyres.
Here's what I'd do:
Forget the SIDs, fit some Magura Durins. They're currebtly available from Magura UK for £350, 2011 model, 100mm travel, brandy new!
They're lighter than SIDs but we,l,l stiff innit.
Fit a newish rear shock, something with pro-pedal. It transforms the SL swing arm. I don't know enough about rear sus to advise what.

Brakes, Magura Martas. Incredibly light. The new MT2/4/6/8 magura brakes are now out, so expect big reductions on the older Martas. I picked up a bike'sworth for £150, new!

Get some modern tubeless tyres on your new wheels. Say goodbye to punctures, hello to better grip and smoother rolling.
Job done!

Great Tips, will investigate the Maguras.

I've been amazed how out of touch i've become with what's good kit in the current market since I stopped drooling over new gear and all things Ti.

The "downside" (hardly!) of having had my dream bike sat in the garage :)

Here's a pic of mine

6783284541_91d609790c.jpg

You stick it in between these ooo er.

But i cant get it to work , not familiar with flickr.

suburbanreuben":2s942qjn said:
Magura Durins. They're currebtly available from Magura UK for £350, 2011 model, 100mm travel, brandy new

Got a link?...just looked and no forks in the magura.com online store and magura.co.uk redirects to venhill, which is all moto stuff.

BTW, my current rear shock is te stock Float RL, just serviced...the proposal idea is noted, probably further down the to do list though.

I'm embarrased to say that I think that looks nice as it is.. :oops:

maybe a set of discs...

But I'm an old fart.. :LOL:

:). Thanks... It's certainly not the looks that need sorting, just the performance is starting to feel it's age. The forks/brakes the most.

One reason I decided not to just go for a new bike is I just can't fall in love with hydro formed/shaped tubes and I swear most new bikes have been eating too many pies, even the top end ones!

If the SL can take everything I've thrown at it for 10 years and still beat the pants off my buddies and their lapierres and commencals why the heck would I want to lug around all the "extra strength" of an all mountain or whatever the latest made up market segment is? -rant over- :LOL:

Edit: I should really also give some credit to all the passionate bike lovers on RB too... I've' been reading/watching for a few months and it's always reassuring to feel you're not alone in having a bit of pride in running classic kit.

Back