GT STS LOBO 98

TimHildreth

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Got the frame with a few part from ebay. Wasnt listed very well, so got what I think is a good price.

Included was
XTR M950 BB - Very good condition
XTR M950 Cranks - worn but ok
Thomson Elite Seatpost - cut down a bit, but in very good condition
WTB seat - ok condition
XTR Chain - good condition
Rear HOPE brake and lever - working fine, just needs some new brake pads

Got the frame the another day, so decided to give it a good clean, removed some stickers that had been placed on the downtube, looks like its been in a garage for the last 5 years or so. -

No cranks and anything, so happy. Only down side is the bushes need changing. - easy fix i guess - order them today from Ben's Cycle is the US ($29.99 plus PP)

Ordered some new decals from Gil_M, but awaiting them to arrive.

This is before i started to clean it up

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

Removed all the back end, which was a bit of pain, cause of some worn bolts, but got there, the rear shock is working fine.

IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

Started to clean up the backend, had some dried mud in the rear arm, which make a noise, when it moved, so removed that, with a lot of time and hot water and the kitchen sink (the other half was ok with that :D ), started to clean the arms, and its starting to clean up well. - picture to follow once fully clean and shiny.

This will be a slow build, cause what it to be right.

Thinking of getting some Rock Shox Boxxer's 151 for it.

Needs better photos (in focus!)

But great start for a project and decent price with that kit included.

Very nice 21" is very big though , this would look amazing with the old school Manitou Dorado and some carbon bars , shaman carbon chain guide
anything carbon really would make it look amazing.
Also there is a NOS shock on ebay for £35.00 from Portugal and he had a rare stratos shock the same design.

The frame is a large, I measured it yesterday from centre of BB to top tube and it measured 19.5,

I will try and get some better pictures up, that's what you get for using a mobile phone.

I have never been into downhill bikes but is just lust, just needs a bit of tlc. currently my house stinks of brasso, which isnt helping my hangover tho

Wouldn't Dorado's be too big for this frame? They're 200mm travel aren't they, were lobos designed for that much up front in 1998?

You could be right about that actually. Even so, these would have come with 150mm Boxxers back in '98, and I'm not sure the headtube would cope with the stress from a longer fork. There's an STS owners thread on here somewhere, I'm sure they've discussed this very issue.

Back