'99 FSR Elite Build - piccy wics

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
right, so finally got down to actually building this bloody thing.

got myself an XT transmission set (M770), Chris King Headset and marzocchi Marathon 04's. Got some other goodies to fit to it, but for today it's just the bare bones :)

Gave the frame a quick spruce (didn't require much effort - Carge sold it to me in a lovely condition :) ):
>
99FSR_01.jpg

99FSR_02.jpg

Then took to cleaning up the crankset and installing BB:

Hollowtech is a new one to me, but seemed easy enough to fit. I would like to know if i was using the right allen key for the allen nut (i have an orange goldtec one) didnt seem to fit as snugly as i expected.....is there a reason for this?

>
99FSR_03.jpg

99FSR_04.jpg

99FSR_05.jpg

next came the headset - i made my own tool for this. got some thrust washers from a scissor jack (ebay), fitted with some nylon washers. slides the cups in nice and gently :) was a bit nervous doing this, but seemed to go in fine :)

>
99FSR_06.jpg

99FSR_07.jpg

crown race onto my Marzocchis:

>
99FSR_08.jpg

99FSR_09.jpg

Marzocchis into headtube (i got no stem at the mo so installed with spacers for now:

>
99FSR_10.jpg

99FSR_11.jpg

99FSR_12.jpg

more to come soon......(probably next weekend)

Looking good! Just wondering, is the biggest chainwheel not 90 degrees turned? I thought the little pin on the outside should be behind the crank.

Senri":2ccp6clh said:
Looking good! Just wondering, is the biggest chainwheel not 90 degrees turned? I thought the little pin on the outside should be behind the crank.

i did wonder this. didn't take a note how it was before i took it apart...:oops: how might one find out the correct positioning of the chainrings...??

The pin should be under the crank. It prevents in case of a chain that falls to the outside that it gets stuck between the ring and the crank. Having it turned 90 degrees also means that the shift pattern are off.
Easy repair! ;)

the orange bolt should be done hand tight,1st then the 2 bolts on the crank arm should hold it all in place

im assuming you tightened to 2 bolts 1st then the orange on to lock it

looks a nice build this.

I like your headset press, well done!.

Do the gold lockouts and adjusters come as standard on thoose zoochies?.

@bigmick- i guessed what the orange bolt does so did that first then the 2 crank arm bolts :)

@passiflora - those gold adjusters (no lock out though) did come on the forks as standard (as far as i know) EDIT: i think i remember the guy saying to me something about these bits when he sold them to me, but cant remember, they may not be standard parts. they are the marzocchi marathon s 2004. it has the ETA adjustment (switch that adds or removes 10-20mm of travel) a lovely little feature that i've yet to test the benefits of :)

looking forward to finishing this though. its my sensible XC ride.

@Trxrincon - thanks! i'm putting way more effort in to this build to make up for my bodge of my other 98 FSR which yours puts to shame really ;)

Liking that rather a lot - kinda regretting selling it to you now :)

Wouldn't the shock be better t'other way round?

But very nice - liking the small amount of gold to go with the yellow on the frame.

Carge":tr1xm06e said:
Wouldn't the shock be better t'other way round?
i think the position of the valve is to close to the frame for fitting right way round

saying that the way he has it makes pumping it up a task

Latest posts

Back