Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:37 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:10 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:13 pm
Posts: 9716
Location: Skipton
Hi Stu.This is a bit of a blast from the past! Yep, still got it and it's the only bike I ride now really. Added a new Thomsons seat post, a blue Hope seat qr, different tyres that I don't really like and swapped the wheels for the same but in better condition and with silver spokes. ever lets me down 8)

Considering some wider bars atm but am holding off doing too much as I'm tempted to have a go on Orange's new 140mm 29er when it comes out so don't really want to spend too much on this. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:15 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:52 pm
Posts: 1412
Location: Devon
brocklanders023 wrote:
Hi Stu.This is a bit of a blast from the past! Yep, still got it and it's the only bike I ride now really. Added a new Thomsons seat post, a blue Hope seat qr, different tyres that I don't really like and swapped the wheels for the same but in better condition and with silver spokes. ever lets me down 8)

Considering some wider bars atm but am holding off doing too much as I'm tempted to have a go on Orange's new 140mm 29er when it comes out so don't really want to spend too much on this. :roll:

Appreciate I was digging up an old thread, but was just curious to see if it was still around. Long-termers are great, you get to evelove them. Personally that's why I wouldn't necesarily build an all-original retrobike as there's always something from stock that you want to change. Anyway, I digress...

What tyres don't you like out of interest?

Not sure what to think of 29ers generally, or the orange. Thought the new clockwork was one of the ugliest bikes i'd ever seen, but found a thread on singletrack of someone's and it looked awesome. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:14 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:13 pm
Posts: 9716
Location: Skipton
Agree on the 29er Clockwork. I was dead against it but have seen a few and it actually looks very nice. Just a shame about the name. I also didn't see the point of 29ers but having had a go on my mate's new one that's about my size I can understand the difference.

Have been thinking about changing the 5 for a newer one, basically because I'm a tart, but the cost has held me back. Really fancy having a proper demo on the upcoming 5 29er that Orange are testing atm as that should make my mind up.

That's why I'm holding back on doing anything else to my 5. As I said, I fancy some wider bars and would like to get the rear shock serviced and tuned. Saying all that, after the overhaul it had above it doesn't really 'need' anything else for the time being.

As for the tyres, they're Bontrager XR4 Team Issue. They came on the wheels I recently got from my mate and were in better nick then the Kenda's I had so thought I'd give them a go. They're ok overall but drag like hell going uphill so for no other reason then that they need to go!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:33 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:12 pm
Posts: 4432
Location: Barry
Theres a matching dtswiss rear shock on ebay at the mo with remote lockout- new BIN £175.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:44 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:32 pm
Posts: 1953
Location: Staffordshire
That's a nice looking bike, it does look better in the later pics. Amazingly I have some original Talas forks (although the crappy Talas system has been replaced by Vanilla ones) and they're on the original stanchions and lowers. They are well overdue a service though.

DT forks were all the rage a while ago but seem to have fallen out of favour because they don't do a big, hard hitting fork like a 36 or a Lyric.

I guess swapping it for a newer Five wouldn't see a big change as they've evolved slowly, so the 29er may be a better bet.

I was pretty anti 29ers at first because I thought they looked silly, no one made tyres or forks etc but the new ones genuinely look great.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:39 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:13 pm
Posts: 9716
Location: Skipton
CTK wrote:
Theres a matching dtswiss rear shock on ebay at the mo with remote lockout- new BIN £175.


Cheers for that but the RP23 does a great job 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:43 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:13 pm
Posts: 9716
Location: Skipton
Mindmap3 wrote:
That's a nice looking bike, it does look better in the later pics. Amazingly I have some original Talas forks (although the crappy Talas system has been replaced by Vanilla ones) and they're on the original stanchions and lowers. They are well overdue a service though.

DT forks were all the rage a while ago but seem to have fallen out of favour because they don't do a big, hard hitting fork like a 36 or a Lyric.

I guess swapping it for a newer Five wouldn't see a big change as they've evolved slowly, so the 29er may be a better bet.

I was pretty anti 29ers at first because I thought they looked silly, no one made tyres or forks etc but the new ones genuinely look great.



It's a real shame that more people don't try DT forks as I think many people would love them. I guess they don't pay off the mags for favourable reviews though :roll:

Agreed on the Five. I've been wanting to get a new one for a couple of years but the geometry of the latest model is the same as mine and it'll be no lighter so I have to use my head, not heart! The 5 29er could be the answer though :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:50 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:32 pm
Posts: 1953
Location: Staffordshire
brocklanders023 wrote:
Mindmap3 wrote:
That's a nice looking bike, it does look better in the later pics. Amazingly I have some original Talas forks (although the crappy Talas system has been replaced by Vanilla ones) and they're on the original stanchions and lowers. They are well overdue a service though.

DT forks were all the rage a while ago but seem to have fallen out of favour because they don't do a big, hard hitting fork like a 36 or a Lyric.

I guess swapping it for a newer Five wouldn't see a big change as they've evolved slowly, so the 29er may be a better bet.

I was pretty anti 29ers at first because I thought they looked silly, no one made tyres or forks etc but the new ones genuinely look great.



It's a real shame that more people don't try DT forks as I think many people would love them. I guess they don't pay off the mags for favourable reviews though :roll:

Agreed on the Five. I've been wanting to get a new one for a couple of years but the geometry of the latest model is the same as mine and it'll be no lighter so I have to use my head, not heart! The 5 29er could be the answer though :wink:


There are some pics of the 5 29er on STW and it looks pretty good. Although it'll only be available in black and gold to start with.

Apparently the entire allocation has been sold to shops already!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:57 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:13 pm
Posts: 9716
Location: Skipton
Is that the 140mm one? I know the Gyro only came in black and gold at first.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:18 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:10 pm
Posts: 1489
Location: Skipton
Dude.
yep the Five29 in black and gold only to start with. £3k for the bike on STW. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group