Neo-Retro! E-stay 29er made (mostly) in my garage

mick_r

Dirt Disciple
I must apologise that this bike is "new", but figured it actually belonged here and might be appreciated :)

I've been mtbing since 1989 so was around to see E-stays in their shortlived heyday (but never owned one - my fillet brazed Kili Flyer was too nice to replace).

So when making my own 29er singlespeed from scratch, I decided some low slung E-stays would help give a short back end with lots of mud clearance around big wheels.

And after +3 months of riding it hasn't broken!

For those wanting a few details, it is fillet brazed Columbus tubing (mostly plain gauge - just top and downtube are butted). All up weight is 23.7 lbs which I'm rather pleased with!

Attachments

• e4.jpg
    e4.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 4,080
  • 29er rear.jpg
    29er rear.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 4,080
:shock: Amazing! Can you post more pics, also of the fabrication process...please, please

I've got plenty more pics but they are at home and I'm busy for the next two evenings (checking out high schools for the kids - pah!). If you are desperate then there is a lot of info over on the MTBR framebuilding forum - probably on first or second page titled something like "homebuild e-stay 29er" (but you need an MTBR login to see the pics).

The fork is fairly long rake (55mm) and 70 deg head angle so wheelbase isn't crazy short (just the backend - slightly under 16" chainstays!)

Mick

respect. having built my own bikes I know how much effort goes into to making a fillet brazed build, proper nice job there fella. Hope your pleased with it and that it rides as good as it looks.

Happy trails.
Pete

not a fan of 29'ers until now.... that is beautiful. Now I need that in my stable... off to eBay to look for 29'er stuff

Back