Another 99 Lobo build!

secs

Retro Newbie
I guess I finally decided to join the website after being a guest for the last week looking at Magsy's other varlobo builds on here, I really had no idea about this site which bugs me as Ive always had a thing for the older bikes and thought I was alone in this world... anyways I recently got my hands on a 99 GT Lobo frame, like others on here it was a bike I couldn't afford back in the day, a dream bike. I managed to take a few photos for a friend and in exchange was a 99 GT lobo, which was brought into Ireland from the UK and passed around a couple of my friends for a few years with me bugging them every month or so.

And now comes the photos!

The frame is in a used condition but everything seems to be in a solid working order considering the age, the paint is very flaky and sadly enough the decals are missing except on the seatube

There is two dents on the top tube but other then that everything looks good.

The frame cape with the hope back brake, but sadly enough my mate sold the hope back hub on a wheel set he built up which will put me in a bit of a hole.... Luckily enough he reconditioned the back brake and added a hope lever and a brand new gooridge braided hose and managed to source pads about two years back when he built it up.

The shock appears to be fine, no leaks and the seals seem to be good, Im going to completely strip down the bike which I have a feeling hasn't been done in some time for a closer look.

A friend was just about to throw out a saracen frenzy downhill bike from about 99 that I saved, I managed to swap the saracen frame to another friend for a set of 99-01 boxxers?

They had a really bad paintjob and were wearing a set of newer decals on the side, but hopefully these will be made into either red boxxer 151 replicas or similar...

Does anyone have any idea what year these might be from? I really wanted a set with the V brake mounts to keep the build in the right period, so I guess the saracen frame came in useful for a swap.

The saracen came with a set of JR t's from 2002, so far Ive accumulated a serious amount of stuff that I probably wont need!

It did come with one of the old FSA angled bearing headsets (cant think of the name of these) and an azonic headlock which might be nice for the build.

It also came with a set of d521's with deore hubs, which hopefully I can salvage the rims for the build or if I can get my hands on a set of d321's that would be much better.

Somehow or another I ended up with these d521's also in silver with xt light weight hubs. But ive no use for these, the joys of having friends who think this stuff is junk, i just cant say no.

I managed to get two free XTR mechs from about 99, both were a little broken but Ill strip both of them to build one fresh mech hopefully...

This was the best free gift by far, a set of 4 pot hopes, I forget the name but they have the c2 levers that came on the lobo for a matching pair and they even come with a set of Goodridge hoses.

So far I cant believe I have handed over no money any of this build! Just asking around I was surprised what id come up with. I know I wont get that much further without handing over money but so far its a good start to a build Ive been planning for a few years now.

I cant wait to see Magsy's build which im sure will turn out a lot better as this will be budgeted due to just paying those horrible college fees, but hopefully this turns out to be a nice rideable dream bike from back in the day.

Next on the list is a set of XTR cranks with an MRP and possibly if I can track down a back wheel or hope hub and a set of d321's....

Wow- quite an accumulation of parts.

D521s are superb wheels! Keep them (or pass them on to me :LOL: )

Enjoying Magsy's build so looking forward to yours.

Oh and the paint on those forks is shocking (judy's!) get them resprayed asap.

Cheers!

Ill be fully stripping the bad spray job on the forks, and hand drawing decals for them, they should hopefully be fully restored in red, luckily a best friend owns a spray booth so the refurb and spray job wont be too much, ill just have to pay for paints, Ive just been gifted a set of 04 world cup boxxers also and azonic world force bars with a planet x block stem, but im itching to get the kore one that used to be on most of these bikes. The 2004 word cup boxxers are a little new for the build but they were free! I just cant say no

Cant wait to see what I come across next!

Cool!!!! :D
Free stuff is the best stuff and you've done pretty well! I thought my Boxxers were as bad as can be but yours are stunning! :shock: Mine look like yours, Vbrake holes but they are not threaded, I'd assumed mine were original 151 but I'm not sure at all. Flog those Jnr T's and it'll pay for something :)

I know its gonna cost but this maybe be a good buy. You get everything you need and some stuff left over to sell on.

I'd use the 04 Boxxers if they work good, I almost went that way myself and I might end up doing that if mine don't function well.

For some it would need to be 100% original but personally aslong as its kinda retro who cares, 99% of people won't have ever seen one in the flesh :eek:

What colour are you going to paint it?

Can't wait to see your progress, any questions fire them over because I'm starting to become a walking Lobo/Hope encyclopedia :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Some classic bits and pieces, bit of a tidy up and you've got a great spec list.

Looking forward to seeing this built up, great frame which you don't see enough of. :D

I can help with the rear brake.
I've got a short axle for a Hope Big Un hub. I couldn't get a hope skewer through it, so maybe there's a bit of swarf in there that needs poking/filing out.

It was given to me for karma and I'm happy to pass it on for the same. I've sourced another one since.
Get yourself a hub and you're cooking on gas. :twisted:

KEEP THE D521's!!!! They are some of the strongest, if not THE strongest, rims I've ever had the fortune to use! Lace them to some Hope Big 'Uns if you can get some.

I think I may be shot down in flames in a moment for saying this buuuuutttttttttt, I'd be really sorely tempted to strip that frame down and get it polished up with new decals from Gil_m on here and then deffo get the forks done in the classic Boxxer red, job's a good 'un!

As for the stem, yep, I agree on the Kore front, or alternatively look for a good condition 50mm Azonic 'Shorty' stem.

Very nice collection of parts you've got going there, lobos are getting very hard to find now and are going for serious money when in good condidtion.

The bearings on the FSA headset are called needle bearings btw :)

If the paint is good, Lobos still look sexy without the decals. I think Gil was banging them off for £30 a set ~so fairly high. Depends how much of a perfectionist you are I guess.

I'm not. :LOL:

564615_10152068367930541_1191096274_n.jpg

Back