Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:13 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:03 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Hi all,

Just thought I'd show one of my Bullses.

I bought the bike after I got fed up with my 2007 Cannondale F6. The F6 was a good bike, but had some handling issues and I simply never bonded with it.
This one however was different. As soon as I got on it for the first time, it felt like I've been driving it for years. Maybe it's because of my other Bulls, or maybe it's just because these bikes are excellent to begin with.

Due to medical reasons (I'm recovering from stomach surgery) I can't do much off-roading, so I slapped on a pair of slicks. I also fitted all the necessary stuff for long-distance riding. I used to do 35-50 miles/day, and plan to get back to that level in a year or so.

Attachment:
IMAG0125.jpg
IMAG0125.jpg [ 271.39 KiB | Viewed 204 times ]

I'm not too happy with the grips yet and the seat will need to be replaced with something more touring-friendly.
I'm also worried about the pedals after seeing a similar set in which the axle was sticking through the side of the plastic body, so I'll be looking for a pair that is a bit stronger.

Apart from those small things, I'm quite pleased with it.

I know it's not a hyper high-end carbon fully, but at £1125 it's a bargain really. A lot of bang for your buck.

EDIT : removed some pics because they're now obsolete.

Last edited by Raging_Bulls on Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:11 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:54 am 
Retro Guru

I REALLY like that.

Not heard of Bulls before but im going to have a look into them now

seems great value

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:34 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Great value indeed. The frame is strong, the geometry is good, the paint and finish is flawless ... and then there's the speclist. Mostly XT (the crankset is a mere Deore) for £1100-ish is excellent if you consider that magazines nowadays are testing £1500 entry-level hardtails that weigh the same and have lower spec components.

I can imagine that these aren't selling well in the UK because it's a lesser-known brand and therefore not fashionable, so you may be able to pick up a bargain.
My LBS still has one 2011 Copperhead 3 in his showroom and is selling it at the equivalent of £956 to make room for the 2012 version.

Last edited by Raging_Bulls on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:08 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

reminds me of cube bikes.

looks great though, my favourite colour, i run a badboy with slicks in the summer, great tool 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:44 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Sweet ride!

They have to do a model named 'Hit'.

I would buy one.

Post subject: bulls
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:28 pm 
Retro Guru

I like the colour scheme.

what did you do to make it more touring friendly?

sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:54 am 
Old School Grand Master

Little update.

A little while ago I took the City Jets off my 728 and decided to put them on the Bulls, just to see what it looked like.
However I quite liked the result, so they'll stay on. This is one of those few modern bikes that actually gets away with skinwalls without looking ridiculous.

Attachment:
P9150027m.jpg
P9150027m.jpg [ 938.54 KiB | Viewed 203 times ]

By changing the tyres, the entire bike has been dropped by nearly half an inch, which does make a difference. Now I can actually get on and off the bike without feeling like I need a ladder.

No idea on the current weight, but I think the removal of lights and computer and the difference in tyre weight shaved around 1.5lbs off the bike's weight. It should be somewhere in the mid-to-high 23lbs region now. .

Last edited by Raging_Bulls on Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:16 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Sweet 8)

:oops:
Im still reading it all.Lovely build :D

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:21 am 
Old School Grand Master

I've been messing with other bikes too much and as a result the Bulls was kinda neglected. However I do still have it and it keeps evolving.

Attachment:
P6280023m.jpg
P6280023m.jpg [ 196.49 KiB | Viewed 203 times ]

Attachment:
P6280025m.jpg
P6280025m.jpg [ 206.35 KiB | Viewed 203 times ]

One of the Formula RX brakes was leaking, so I replaced them with XT M785 brakes. Big mistake, I later found out that the reservoirs are in the way of thumbies, so for now I'm stuck with the stock shifters.

Attachment:
P6280037m.jpg
P6280037m.jpg [ 120.7 KiB | Viewed 203 times ]

The 180mm Hope rotors were replaced with a 180mm XT at the front and a 160 at the rear. Parfumisme sorted out the hose lengths and set the brakes up for me. After all the misery with the Formulas, I really didn't want to do this myself anymore.

The fork was dropped to 60mm using Rockshox spacers in the left leg. With 185psi it's about perfect for my current 192lbs (aiming for my 160-165lbs ideal weight by the end of August).
Of course dropping the front this much did affect the geometry and hence the handling, but not by that much really and the small changes are positive. It feels more like a 90s short-travel hardtail than one of those modern 100+mm bikes with their slack geometry.

Oh, and if you're going for such short travel, it has to have one of these decals.
Attachment:
P6280029m.jpg
P6280029m.jpg [ 152.63 KiB | Viewed 203 times ]

Attachment:
P6280038m.jpg
P6280038m.jpg [ 207.67 KiB | Viewed 203 times ]

The dual 1 liter bottles should come in handy for my daily 35-40 mile trips, but I tend to drink less than half a liter from them because the water tastes like liquid plastic as soon as it is exposed to the sun's heat. I know there are bottles with a special inner coating that preserves the taste of the water, so I guess it's time to look for those.

Next winter I'll probably get a closer-ratio cassette and a mid-cage or short-cage mech. I never use the granny ring or the tallest few cogs on the cassette, so I might as well get a better choice in the gears I do use. I'll probably go for slightly larger front chainrings too, the current 42/11 top ratio gets used a lot and I found myself trying to upshift from it at least half a dozen times in the last 2 days.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:00 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Bike looks great with the slicks on and as for the brakes well fortunately that's one mistake you'll not repeat again so are you going to be using them on another bike then and will you be going back to your old brakes lol .