'98(?) Univega

Hawmaw

MacRetro Rider
Picked this up off the local free ads for £50 to replace my wifes BSO. She likes the comfort of FS for her ample a**. I got £35 for her old bike , a Universal ! I'll also sell the tyres which were on it , almost new Schwalbe Marathon. I don't like skinny tyres on a mountain bike.

Don't know if this is up to much but it's hardly been used. It's in very good condition. The components are a bit low spec tho. The shock is RST. Fork is Suntour. Very basic with no adjustment but smooth and still work. The brakes were ProMax which I swapped out for a set of LX I had in the spares box. A world of difference. The rims are Alex. Front hub is Joytech , rear is Parallax. Shifters are STX-RC. The 120mm stem is a bit of a stretch , even for me so I've got a 90mm coming from ebay.

Weighs in at 30lb. The old Universal BSO was 40lb ! My modern Mongoose fs is 32lb.

I think it's about '98 as there's a sticker on the shock " 05/98 "

pict0013.jpg

PICT0012.jpg

PICT0028.jpg

pict0020.jpg

pict0019.jpg

pict0017.jpg

pict0016.jpg

pict0015.jpg

pict0014.jpg

Even the BSO's in 98 were of reasonably quality :cool:,spec wise at least :? Not fancy doing something a little more exotic :D

potential for a weight weenie there if it weighs in at 30lbs dressed in (lets be frank) crap :LOL:

quite like the colour of it too, orange and black are always a good combo :LOL:

I like it, and pretty light at 30lbs my rigid 88 Spesh was 28 of the shelf and that had Deore. Khane is right, it should be easy to shed a couple of pounds if you so wish.

I saw one of these at Sherwood Pines at the weekend but it was silver. I always thought these where budget £99 bikes that where advertised as "full suspension bikes" on a sandwich board outside Halfords. The lad riding it was pretty good on a bike too but it appears they aren't crap like I always thought they where. I like it :D

I've been seeing a lot of nice Univegas recently. Whichever direction you choose to go - be it to reduce weight or to upgrade the spec - you've got a good base to start with. I'll be interested to see what you do with it.

BTW are those Schwalbe Marathons 1.50"s by any chance? If so, and if you haven't sold them yet maybe we could do a deal. :D

Latest posts

Back