1998 Specialized Ground Control FSR Comp

EarlofBarnet

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Three's the magic number? Well, here's my third Specialized.

78937ecd.jpg

d3f29ea6.jpg

5d7f5e3e.jpg

Just picked this up today and have already had a quick blast out on it. There's a few things I'll change to make it truely mine, so watch this space.

Given it a once over and spotted a few things that need some attention, but that's part of the fun :)

Has the downhill machine gone already? You go through more bikes then I eat hot meals :LOL:

Yeh, I do think I have a problem with bikes! Had the Stumpy and the Allez a bit now though. Think that's the beauty with used bikes though, you can chop and change until you're happy.

Going to take a few bits off the FSR today. Drivetrain is shot so weighing up replacements. Bled front brake yesterday and it's working a treat. Gave forks a quick once over and they're working nicely now too.

Did have a read through your thread when mulling this one over. Looks tight on the rear shock, can you still adjust the air pressure ok? Looks a good choice on parts etc though, I like it :)

i did put the shock on the other way around to begin with and the valve did foul on the frame, but switched it over and it's fine now.

the 1 issue i have with the shock/frame combo is the rebound adjust knob is a real PITA to get too. luckily it can be turned with just the 1 finger otherwise it'd have been a nightmare to setup :LOL:

Been looking to get a Deore groupset for the bike, which Merlin are selling for £209. However, bit of eBay-ing has landed me an SLX groupset for £200! Job done. Think the SLX chainset will go on my Stumpjumper and the Deore chainset from my Stumpjumper will go on to the FSR (swopping bash guard on to FSR). So think that's the drivetrain sorted :)

SLXGroupset.jpg

Think the next step will be the front brake. Plan is to sell the Hope Open disc brake and look to get an Avid Elixir item.

Back