Scott Voltage YZ3 2005 is it worth getting repaired?

swos

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have a Scott Voltage YZ3 2005 which I have been riding to work for the past 18 months. Recently the chain broke after the chain got stuck between the back wheel and the top gear cog. The gears have been on the way out for the past few months. Took the bike to 2 different shops in Norwich and not only is the chain broken but the gears as I suspected are knackered and have been advised that I need to replace the chain, back wheel 8 speed cogs etc. I have been quoted about £130 to get the bike repaired.

The bike has front suspension and has front and back disc brakes. I have really enjoyed riding the bike to work for the past 18 months and am reluctant to get rid of the bike.

I have a 1997 Specialized Ground Control A1 Aim Pro for riding off road etc so the Scott would only be used for commuting to work and cycling to the football and shops.

I was wondering whether its worth getting the bike repaired so I can use it for commuting to work. Or is it best to count my losses and sell the bike for spares, parts or repair. But for the £130+ that it may cost to get it repaired I maybe able to get a nice retro bike.

What would people do in my shoes?

Go for a retro bike or source the parts form here instead - shop qoute means full price
Why does the back wheel need replacing?

i'm with cyfa on this one, seems the shop is trying to misinform you to make some sales. (can't really fault them it is there job)

£130 for new chain, cassette, rear wheel ? sounds about right (maybe a little high), but as cyfa says what is wrong with the rear wheel to need it replacing ?

if it is just the chain & cassette that need replacing get them off ebay or CRC then take them to your LBS to get them fitted. (if you don't have the tools or know how to do it yourself) it'll no doubt save you at least half of what you've been quoted.

cyfa2809":byo1thd6 said:
Go for a retro bike or source the parts form here instead - shop qoute means full price
Why does the back wheel need replacing?
Sorry I badly worded the details above. The back wheel doesn't need replacing. The parts that need replacing are:
the chain,
8 speed cassette,
the 3 chain wheels on the pedals
and front dérailleur.
The rear dérailleur may also need replacing.

ok i think it's time we got some pics of the "offending parts" so we can better advise you, because it really does sound to me like they are literally taking you for a ride.

Khane":10bxbon1 said:
ok i think it's time we got some pics of the "offending parts" so we can better advise you, because it really does sound to me like they are literally taking you for a ride.

My thoughts exactly.

Even if all those did need replacing, it would be in the region of £50 for very useable second hand parts.

The parts I've been quoted for are new. The 8 speed cassette is £35. I'll try and get some pictures. Although I'm tempted to count my loses and sell the bike back to the person I bought it from. I only paid £90 for it 20 months ago so it doesn't owe me much. I hoping to get something more retro for riding to work.

Problem is I'm not mechanically minded so I wouldn't be able to repair it myself. Unless someone on the forum lives in Norwich who could help.

Here's some pictures of the bike hope they are clear enough.

Attachments

• DSC01827.JPG
    DSC01827.JPG
    233.4 KB · Views: 6,986
  • DSC01830.JPG
    DSC01830.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 6,986
  • DSC01831.JPG
    DSC01831.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 6,986
  • DSC01832.JPG
    DSC01832.JPG