Another Kula! 2002

konafan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Finally joined the dark side (discs and post 97 frame) after riding my trusty steel 97 cinder cone for a few years.

Bought the Kula frame from Nick C on here and within 48hrs was finding out what hydraulic discs and the Kula's Easton frame were like properly off road up here in the Peak Disctrict.
I was really surprised at how comfy it was expecting a bone jarring ride after being used to DB steel!!

Anyway a couple of pics from todays blast....

P1080295.jpg

P1080294.jpg

P1080293.jpg

P1080298.jpg

my other retro ride... :twisted:

P1080283.jpg

cheers!
Yes Sheffielder's are lucky when it's sunny with all this on our doorstep!

re disc brakes-Now I'm used to that "dull" feeling as oppose to a really well set up V, I;m happy. No doubt the advantages especially up here when it gets wet the gritsone eats V pads in days!!

I'm using Hope minis (not mono minis) and really like them. Fitted new pads and bled them and seem really good. They probably need a good service or a rebuild though.

Now it's time to start buying some additional parts and get the weight down. ;)

Also love the transport too, the ultimate bikers V-dub possibly? Is there room to sleep in the cab?

hmm not sure where to save the weight apart from rear cassette/chain, bars, (eventually will upgrade the flexy SIDs but that'll only bring weight with it) without compromising strength as I really do enjoy hammering the trails here.

The VW DOKA T3 is a bit of a rarity especially these days.Most succumbed to early graves at the hands of careless builders and tree surgeons, but luckily this model from Berlin originally, had been used with a demountable camper unit on the back (why not get a VW camper??) so the flat bed's pristine.
You could sleep on the rear bench although it's a little cramped for me.

Slight cosmetic update...

P1080394.jpg

The Ritchey stem matches quite nicely as does the Spoon saddle

I wanted to break up the whiteness a little so opted for some world champion stripes :LOL:

P1080395.jpg

P1080396.jpg

Very subtle, but looks good. It did have a Ritchey wet white bar on it in a previous life, did I send you the picture?

oh yeah, I think so, if it was the pic on a workstand?

Early reports on the Charge saddle are good by the way. Still almost white even :LOL:

Yes the workstand pic was the one.

I've got a white Selle Italia I'll test this weekend on a ride around Skiddaw. Might be that I won't be able to sit down for a few days following!

Back