my Kona Ute 2010

Malvern Rider

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
The good ship.

Only changes/additions are longer stem (Blackwell Research) a pre-aged Brooks B67 saddle, a dynamo light (still not fitted the dyno) and Schwalbe Fat Frank tyres. Supremely comfortable bike, just glides along. All 40lbs of her, not a bad weight considering.

Will upgrade gears at some point when settled, but for now, this is the most comfortable and hassle-free bike I ever rode. Just need to sort out that chain rubbing on the kickstand. Naughty Kona.

Extremely cool bikes!
I really want to get one when the kids come along and get a pair of baby seats :D

Awesome, you'll have so much fun I reckon.

I don't have kids yet either, but may try a Big Dummy/Freeradical when that day comes, or even a Bakfiets type as you can keep half an eye on the kids all the time then.

I treat the Ute as our estate car, trying to get more carless (?!) all the time.

Any load on the deck would be quite high (700c wheels innit, weird choice?), and I've avoided putting a dog crate on the top there for that reason. But it would be fine for the bulky lightweight stuff, like camping gear, big parcels, oodles of bog roll on the supermarket run etc.

Saying that, I have seen people transport kids on Utes:

4855512593_a5c5fb7799.jpg

"Mooooom, dad's bum's in my face...and he ate BEANS"

Kona-made luggage options are still limited, but that's cool if you're handy with stuff and can make yr own. Would ideally like to get/fashion some caged panniers that would collapse in, one big enough for our medium/small dog.

Back