Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:11 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 25  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:48 pm 
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
BoTM | Gold | PoTM

That's a work of art 8) absolutely stunning!

Like someone else said, just need a suit of armour, lance and a shield and you're away :wink:

Post subject: Re: .
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:44 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Grannygrinder wrote:
Oh my :shock:
Is the copper real copper? Will it oxidise and turn green? :lol: I do hope not, jealous, me , never :lol: :lol: :lol:

Think the frame has been polished and then laquered :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:59 pm 
Section Moderator & South West AEC

thanks for the positive comments guys. :D

the frame is lacquered, after the copper is applied the frame is then polished and Tom then cuts around the lugs etc, the copper then peels off the stainless steel sections like foil, more polishing, then the frame is lacquered with some "super tough polyurethane shit" :lol: direct quote from Tom, this is indeed to stop it from tarnishing and eventually going green! it may gradually go darker but should never go green. apparently this finish is so tough that if you hit it with something you are more likely to dent the tube than chip the lacquer.

i didn't weigh the frame, frankly i don't care. that said it's not super light but then i didn't expect it to be, don't get me wrong it's not a fatty but i'd say it's slightly heavier than my clockwork frame but all the components are lighter than what's on the clockwork so it'll probably even out. also i'm not exactly skinny so having a frame with some meat on it won't hurt.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:44 pm 
Retro Guru

I think it would look amazing if it was allowed to go green, and as you say the weight isn't really the priority.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:58 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Absolutley stunning Jon, I love the copper look and the 217's blend in well for that retro nod 8) my question is decals ?? I know you will have the trademark jb666 stickers

Well worth the wait and I can't wait to see it, if you are gunna do a cough modern cough ride one sunday let me know :wink:

Good luck with it at the NEC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:03 pm 

Tom doesn't like stickers, i usually do but in this case i think he's right that the frame shouldn't have them. i won't be putting my logo stickers on but i am gonna something on there in a subtle place. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:15 pm 
Old School Grand Master

If it had lugs on the BB and the toptube-seattube-seatstays section, I'd have been against stickers too.
However this is just a tad too much copper to my liking. I'd suggest chromed (or similar metallic finish) stickers.

Beautiful frame nonetheless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:29 pm 

good lord :shock: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:34 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Absolutely stunning!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:12 am 

ok so i got further on this evening.

the bike is now complete with the exception of bleeding the brakes, i have no fluid here though so i can't do it. the braided hose just didn't want to go through the frame so i have put some standard hose on, sort of a shame as i had bought some gear outer to match the braided hose but as the standard hose is black i have decided not to use the poncy gear outer and stick with shimano xtr in black outer instead so it matches nicely. that said it's not a bad thing really as the bling stuff was getting excessive to say the least!

there are a couple more things i want to sort but they are little things, for example when Cliff at Royce has made some more QR's i'll get a set to match the hubs, not to mention if he makes a headset the King will go but he said those have been on the back burner for a few years.

i'm really pleased with it, but it's looking like i can't ride it for a while as it may be having a photo shoot from our very own Gus so if that's the case i want it mint for those pics, in all honesty i hate my pics, they just don't do it justice but here's one that makes the bike look finished

:D

Attachments:
demon finished-ish.jpg
demon finished-ish.jpg [ 200.98 KiB | Viewed 801 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 25  Next