Kona Kula

Nick C

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Well thanks to Matt (the man with a Barnett) pointing me to a thread over at SingleTrack, today this Kona Kula arrived from Andrew (the man with a crazy knowledge...apparently). I think it's a 2002 model, can anybody confirm this?

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with her yet, but I intend to keep her for quite awhile. Certainly to begin with she's going to need a new coat of paint and I'd like a custom finish I think. I need to research custom painters and tap the knowledge of the retro bike crowd and their wealth of experience. Once I decide on a colour scheme I can lay out a basic plan for components. Lightweight will be the driving force on the build.

kona_kula_001.jpg

kona_kula_002.jpg

kona_kula_003.jpg

kona_kula_004.jpg

kona_kula_005.jpg

you sure it needs paint :shock:
i actually really like that monochrome paint job
maybe stick with that, but get a pearlescent white (i.e pearlescent bleu (white with blue tint), etc. of your choice, so then black white job, with what ever colour tint as detail)
:cool:

White and black would be too much like my previous Kona build. I'm thinking flames!! ;)

ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh :cry:

what about digi camo or similar?
or recreat the flame job from the dho frames?

flame jobs are hard to get right

There's a bike shop up in Scotland that seems to create rather fancy custom paint jobs, I might give them a call tomorrow.

http://www.nacycles.co.uk/custom.php

And as I was out photographing some other items this afternoon, I took one more photo of the Kula frame. I know on this forum anything after 1997 is not classed as special, but all bikes have their own beauty don't they?

kona_kula_006.jpg

what you say is very true
they are in fact works of art for the enthusiast/engineer types
id even go as far as saying SOME apsects of BSO's are nice

:D a good looking frame there bud, i like the" wrought iron/ornimental" drop outs..looks very classy. Any ideas for colour yet? going dark or light? solid or metalic..or even blended/faded light and dark.

This will be a classic i feel ;)

Ernie ;)

Latest posts

Back