Genesis Day01 Alfine

Thorpie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well, I have finally purchased what I hope will be an easy to maintain bike for commuting on, in all weathers, not a MTB but not a Road bike either. It is fairly heavy but the Alfine is smooth, even if I did have to get the LBS to help me put the rear wheel back on after changing the tyre (takes a bit of practise by all accounts and I have already succeeded in taking off a load of paint on the slot dropouts)! Nice ride with the Reynolds frame and of course I have fitted a Flite saddle.

Trevor.

Attachments

• DSC03443 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03443 (Medium).JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 3,353
  • DSC03442 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03442 (Medium).JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 3,353
  • DSC03441 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03441 (Medium).JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 3,353
  • DSC03440 (Medium) (2).JPG
    DSC03440 (Medium) (2).JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 3,353

V.nice :cool:
That looks like everything you could ever want a commuter to be :D
I don't recall ever seeing a bad looking orange bike :cool:

Thorpie":1j4fzszs said:
Well, I have finally purchased what I hope will be an easy to maintain bike for commuting on, in all weathers, not a MTB but not a Road bike either. It is fairly heavy but the Alfine is smooth, even if I did have to get the LBS to help me put the rear wheel back on after changing the tyre (takes a bit of practise by all accounts and I have already succeeded in taking off a load of paint on the slot dropouts)! Nice ride with the Reynolds frame and of course I have fitted a Flite saddle.
Trevor.

Nice one, that's a really nice looking bike, how's it riding so far?
I have a real hankering for an Alfine equiped bike now that the 11 speeder is available!

Defender":ryr4m8fz said:
Thorpie":ryr4m8fz said:
Trevor.

Nice one, that's a really nice looking bike, how's it riding so far?
I have a real hankering for an Alfine equiped bike now that the 11 speeder is available!

First commute on it today, very smooth and very quiet! The steel frame absorbs a good portion of the bumps and I am finding the ride position surprisingly comfortable considering I have only ridden mtbs with riser bars for the last 20 odd years! Quite happy with the spread of gears too, plenty low enough for the climbs and ok for the fast bits although another gear a little higher would be good but this might be due to the front ring only being 40t instead of the 42t advertised, maybe put on a 45t eventually.

Trevor.

Nice choice, The Croix de fer looks great too, i've got the SS flat bar version, as seen in this section. Now I got 5 miles and hills I'm pondering building summat with gears again! haha but yeah great bike, on or off road. The gears are good yeah? I've been scarred by slippy Sturmey Archers on tatty old Grifters! :D

Nice Bike!

I've had an Alfine 8 on my commuter (and an Alfine 11 on the MTB), its worked perfectly for the past year, with just the one tweek for cable stretch after a week or so.
Your right, getting the wheel in and out is a pain though - it takes a little practice, and its handy to carry a cut off spoke for the little hole just in case of a puncture (only had one rear so far). The Afline 11 is significantly better in this area, it has a thumb leaver on the hub body which makes cable removal much easier.

skinheadjc":q797lxto said:
Nice Bike!
Your right, getting the wheel in and out is a pain though - it takes a little practice, and its handy to carry a cut off spoke for the little hole just in case of a puncture (only had one rear so far). The Afline 11 is significantly better in this area, it has a thumb leaver on the hub body which makes cable removal much easier.

It's easy enough to remove and replace the wheel with vertical dropouts (in my experience anyway) and you can rotate the Alfine 8 selector drum by hand without any need to use anything in that little hole.
I just change to the lowest gear to get the most cable slack, rotate the selector drum and unhook the cable then remove the outer from the cable stop and drop the wheel out.

It probably takes longer to type this than to do it.

Back