Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:32 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Genesis Day01 Alfine
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:15 pm 
Retro Guru

Well, I have finally purchased what I hope will be an easy to maintain bike for commuting on, in all weathers, not a MTB but not a Road bike either. It is fairly heavy but the Alfine is smooth, even if I did have to get the LBS to help me put the rear wheel back on after changing the tyre (takes a bit of practise by all accounts and I have already succeeded in taking off a load of paint on the slot dropouts)! Nice ride with the Reynolds frame and of course I have fitted a Flite saddle.

Trevor.

Attachments:
DSC03440 (Medium) (2).JPG
DSC03440 (Medium) (2).JPG [ 221.17 KiB | Viewed 2995 times ]
DSC03441 (Medium).JPG
DSC03441 (Medium).JPG [ 217.4 KiB | Viewed 2995 times ]
DSC03442 (Medium).JPG
DSC03442 (Medium).JPG [ 218.55 KiB | Viewed 2995 times ]
DSC03443 (Medium).JPG
DSC03443 (Medium).JPG [ 210.39 KiB | Viewed 2995 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:18 pm 
Retro Guru

Close up of the Alfine.

Attachments:
DSC03444 (Medium).JPG
DSC03444 (Medium).JPG [ 189.65 KiB | Viewed 2990 times ]

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:14 am 
aka Leo Swayer
aka Leo Swayer

V.nice 8)
That looks like everything you could ever want a commuter to be :D
I don't recall ever seeing a bad looking orange bike 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:32 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

That's a lovely looking bike, but what you riding the day after? 8)

Post subject: Re: Genesis Day01 Alfine
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:12 pm 
Old School Hero

Thorpie wrote:
Well, I have finally purchased what I hope will be an easy to maintain bike for commuting on, in all weathers, not a MTB but not a Road bike either. It is fairly heavy but the Alfine is smooth, even if I did have to get the LBS to help me put the rear wheel back on after changing the tyre (takes a bit of practise by all accounts and I have already succeeded in taking off a load of paint on the slot dropouts)! Nice ride with the Reynolds frame and of course I have fitted a Flite saddle.
Trevor.

Nice one, that's a really nice looking bike, how's it riding so far?
I have a real hankering for an Alfine equiped bike now that the 11 speeder is available!

Post subject: Re: Genesis Day01 Alfine
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:32 pm 
Retro Guru

Defender wrote:
Thorpie wrote:
Trevor.

Nice one, that's a really nice looking bike, how's it riding so far?
I have a real hankering for an Alfine equiped bike now that the 11 speeder is available!

First commute on it today, very smooth and very quiet! The steel frame absorbs a good portion of the bumps and I am finding the ride position surprisingly comfortable considering I have only ridden mtbs with riser bars for the last 20 odd years! Quite happy with the spread of gears too, plenty low enough for the climbs and ok for the fast bits although another gear a little higher would be good but this might be due to the front ring only being 40t instead of the 42t advertised, maybe put on a 45t eventually.

Trevor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:03 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Nice choice, The Croix de fer looks great too, i've got the SS flat bar version, as seen in this section. Now I got 5 miles and hills I'm pondering building summat with gears again! haha but yeah great bike, on or off road. The gears are good yeah? I've been scarred by slippy Sturmey Archers on tatty old Grifters! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:32 pm 
Retro Guru

Nice Bike!

I've had an Alfine 8 on my commuter (and an Alfine 11 on the MTB), its worked perfectly for the past year, with just the one tweek for cable stretch after a week or so.
Your right, getting the wheel in and out is a pain though - it takes a little practice, and its handy to carry a cut off spoke for the little hole just in case of a puncture (only had one rear so far). The Afline 11 is significantly better in this area, it has a thumb leaver on the hub body which makes cable removal much easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:52 pm 
Retro Guru

skinheadjc wrote:
Nice Bike!
Your right, getting the wheel in and out is a pain though - it takes a little practice, and its handy to carry a cut off spoke for the little hole just in case of a puncture (only had one rear so far). The Afline 11 is significantly better in this area, it has a thumb leaver on the hub body which makes cable removal much easier.

It's easy enough to remove and replace the wheel with vertical dropouts (in my experience anyway) and you can rotate the Alfine 8 selector drum by hand without any need to use anything in that little hole.
I just change to the lowest gear to get the most cable slack, rotate the selector drum and unhook the cable then remove the outer from the cable stop and drop the wheel out.

It probably takes longer to type this than to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:42 pm 
Retro Guru

Really like that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: