Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:36 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:26 am 
Gold Trader / Special
Gold Trader / Special
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:48 pm
Posts: 3169
Location: Leicestershire
bigmick wrote:
Dangermouse wrote:
I had the same problem with the bolt but local Bapp store had a flat allen one in stock so 40p later........haha

you still have a shitty a2z adaptor though :p

whos laughing now

me with my 10 quid 2001 enduro seat stay or you with yer hope it holds out a2z adaptor

he he


i've got a proper specialized adpter for mine.
things are like hens teeth though lol.


Last edited by Khane on Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:27 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 4:24 am
Posts: 713
Location: Edinburgh
Khane wrote:
bigmick wrote:
yeah 98 model but i used 2001 seat stay which had bearings installed and betd link
so used top hats from my 2001 s-works and it fits perfect

edit his is a 99 as his decals are stickers and not painted on like mines

the square style is early big hit max backbone


just been checking on bikepedia '99 was a very odd year for the GC FSR.

the Elite & Pro both had the square tubing.
however the Standard & Comp & Expert all had the older rounded tubing.

very odd as the lineage goes of the '99 setup goes.

FSR (round)
FSR Comp (round)
FSR Elite (square)
FSR Expert (round)
FSR Pro (square)

at least this is what i can deduce from the rather poor pics on bikepedia.


alos appologies for hijacking your build thread :oops: i just really like my FSR :D

like everything old stock gets sold 1st then the new ones get sold
so both will be 99


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:32 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 4:24 am
Posts: 713
Location: Edinburgh
Khane wrote:
bigmick wrote:
Dangermouse wrote:
I had the same problem with the bolt but local Bapp store had a flat allen one in stock so 40p later........haha

you still have a shitty a2z adaptor though :p

whos laughing now

me with my 10 quid 2001 enduro seat stay or you with yer hope it holds out a2z adaptor

he he


i've got a proper specialized adpter for mine.
things are like hens teeth though lol.

yeah i was hunting for one of those and stumble across a enduro stay
won it very cheap

must be less people looking for alternative stays
fits fine and apart from the small rotor performs well


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:33 am 
Gold Trader / Special
Gold Trader / Special
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:48 pm
Posts: 3169
Location: Leicestershire
true but being as the frames are all basicly identicle just the bits hanging from them are of a different spec, it's odd that they decided to do that with the lineup.

i'd have gone with the older rounded tubes for the lower spec models and had the square tubed version as the higher end models.

who knows what there thinking was. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:36 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 4:24 am
Posts: 713
Location: Edinburgh
Khane wrote:
true but being as the frames are all basicly identicle just the bits hanging from them are of a different spec, it's odd that they decided to do that with the lineup.

i'd have gone with the older rounded tubes for the lower spec models and had the square tubed version as the higher end models.

who knows what there thinking was. :roll:

cant speak for other frames but the extreme has a massive head tube

nightmare to find 2nd hand forks for it

strong frame though nice design too


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:40 am 
Gold Trader / Special
Gold Trader / Special
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:48 pm
Posts: 3169
Location: Leicestershire
bigmick wrote:
Khane wrote:
true but being as the frames are all basicly identicle just the bits hanging from them are of a different spec, it's odd that they decided to do that with the lineup.

i'd have gone with the older rounded tubes for the lower spec models and had the square tubed version as the higher end models.

who knows what there thinking was. :roll:

cant speak for other frames but the extreme has a massive head tube

nightmare to find 2nd hand forks for it

strong frame though nice design too


well i think the extreme is the exception to the rule as it has extra gusseting of the headtube.

it was a real b!tch trying to find a steerer for the Judy XLs on mine it's only and 18.5" frame but the forks came on a '99 GC FSR in 17.5" variety and the difference in headtube length must have been about 1.5 - 2" difference.

ended up buying a whole bike just because it had a pair of judy XLCs with a steerer long enough lol :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:49 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 4:24 am
Posts: 713
Location: Edinburgh
Khane wrote:
bigmick wrote:
Khane wrote:
true but being as the frames are all basicly identicle just the bits hanging from them are of a different spec, it's odd that they decided to do that with the lineup.

i'd have gone with the older rounded tubes for the lower spec models and had the square tubed version as the higher end models.

who knows what there thinking was. :roll:

cant speak for other frames but the extreme has a massive head tube

nightmare to find 2nd hand forks for it

strong frame though nice design too


well i think the extreme is the exception to the rule as it has extra gusseting of the headtube.

it was a real b!tch trying to find a steerer for the Judy XLs on mine it's only and 18.5" frame but the forks came on a '99 GC FSR in 17.5" variety and the difference in headtube length must have been about 1.5 - 2" difference.

ended up buying a whole bike just because it had a pair of judy XLCs with a steerer long enough lol :oops:

brilliant6 bikes though
i have a 2001 s-works xc and a 2005 stumpy pro and the gc is still my fav bike


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:51 am 
Gold Trader / Special
Gold Trader / Special
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:48 pm
Posts: 3169
Location: Leicestershire
couldn't agree more.

but i think we've hi-jacked the thread enough hehe

i also need to get to bed it's nearly 2am >_<


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:55 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 4:24 am
Posts: 713
Location: Edinburgh
goodnight
:lol:

yeah near 2am here as well :o


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:55 am 
Onnnne Huuuunnnndrreeed and Eigggghhhhty

Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:45 pm
Posts: 180
bigmick wrote:
Dangermouse wrote:
I had the same problem with the bolt but local Bapp store had a flat allen one in stock so 40p later........haha

you still have a shitty a2z adaptor though :p

whos laughing now

me with my 10 quid 2001 enduro seat stay or you with yer hope it holds out a2z adaptor

he he


WHOA hold on with the hostilities mate I was laughing at getting a bolt for 40p not anything else so please dont think I was laughing at you, the only reason its on an A2Z is because the sharkfins are extremely rare and I cant find one and wanted the bike up and running as fast as possible


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: xxnick1975 and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group