Specialized Ground Control FSR Comp

tenfoot

Dirt Disciple
Great to see a few threads on here about old school Spesh FSR bikes - a subject very dear to my heart.

I have a 98 Specialized Ground Control FSR Comp, which I've had since new and is my main bike (my other being a 93 Marin Bear Valley).

IMG00096-20110115-1427.jpg

IMG00084-20101222-1319.jpg

I do it clean it sometimes

IMG00098-20110115-1449.jpg

The FSR Comp has been with me through thick and thicker. The only modification I have made is to put some riser bars on it, as curiously it came equipped with flat bars. As I have kids, it had a couple of years with not much use, but up to then, and now in the last year, it's been getting used 3 times a week, covering about 150 miles a month.

I would love to buy something a bit more modern and use the FSR as a winter bike, but I feel so at home on it, I think I would struggle to get anything I felt as comfortable with. I've read reviews about the OE Judy T2 forks, but to be honest, I've had no problems with them and never felt like they compromise the bike, despite having only 80mm travel.

In short - I love it.

Fsr

Mm nice ride that, was gonna say needed a bit of a clean but read your later text explaining the situation. I did hear they were great for hurtling down the side of hills in the dark on a Thusrday night. :)

i've also got one in blue (check sig).

despite spending possibly the least on it, it would be the last to go if i ever had to sell up. (my original prestige will be buried with me lol)

Seen your thread before. It's great to see you getting so much enjoyment out of it. They really are great bikes.

I could probably do with upgrading the forks and the rear shock, but never have the available funds (it always seems to go towards "more important" things).

The frame shape does throw up a few very minor problems - ie - always have a dirty bottle, unless I carry it in a bag, the top tube is too short to fit a crudcatcher, and the bike wouldn't fit my roof bar carriers, so I had to buy a rack to fit, but these are nothing in comparison to the length of faultless service, and hours of entertainment this bike has given me.

Even if I do get to change it at some point, it will still get a regular run out, for old times sake.

i keep trying to get an upgraded rear shock but it's a sod trying to find one in the right length and then win the auction within my budget >_<

however the original rockshox deluxe that is on it works perfectly.

and they really are a joy to ride.

I tried a air shock from a newer fsr on mine and it didn't fit. It was too wide in quite a few places. Even running it upside down meant the body of the shock would hit the frame.

well funnily enough as luck would have it i won this the other day :LOL:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

the guy is out of the country till saturday say's he'll post it first thing monday.

i may put the fox on the rocky mountain and the SID on my FSR, just have to see how things fit.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
update on my shock upgrade, it arrived in the post yesterday and the bushings/mounting kit that were on the shock are too small and the ones on the old rockshox don't fit either.

had alook on the TFTuned site for a correct sized mounting kit only to find they don't stock what i need. (Grrr)

dropped 'em an email lastnight with measurements etc waiting to hear back from them.

but by the look of it the Float R will fit (with the correct mounting kit), but the mounting kit is going to cost nearly as much as the shock did >_<

i'll update again when they get back to me.

Back