98 GT Fillet Brazed Psyclone *FINISHED PICS*

SeeingisBelievingGTMuseum

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Final build pics now available below.....Started this build a week or so ago and have a way to go before it's completed. 1998 GT Psyclone out of fillet brazed Reynolds 853. After begging on forums for a 28.6mm front derailleur for a couple weeks I decided to start without it only to learn once getting started that in 1998 GT actually uses a 31.8mm seat tube on the 98 Psyclone unlike previous years. Meaning the the top tube pierces the seat tube rather than the seat tube piercing the top tube as in previous years. Due to the Yellow and Blue team color paint scheme on the frame and the Judy period color I Figured the stem and saddle should match the fork. Wanted to keep the parts on the lighter side due to the darker frame color so silver on the post, bar, crank and probably rims also. Kind of anxious to get it done to compare the ride with the earlier Psyclones that had different sized tubes. Will post more as it get closer to completion. Comments welcome

Build so far:
Fork: Judy SL (May swap out for a 98 of the same)
Head Set: King Nothreadset
Stem: Control Tech Judy Yellow
Handle Bar: NOS GT Alloy silver polished
Grips: NOS GT Anatomical
Crank: GT CNV w/Shimano SG-X 48/38/28
Front Der: Shimano M900 XTR 31.8mm Bottom Pull/Bottom Swing
Rear Der: Shimano M900 XTR
Shifters: Shimano SL-M951 XTR 3x8 sped
Brake Levers: Ritchey Logic (Canti)
Brakes: Either Ritchey or M900 Canti
Seat Clamp: Salsa
Seat Post: GT HL with infinite micro adjust silver
Saddle: NOS GT Emroidered Selle San Marco Bontrager design
Wheels: Trying to decide yet

Attachments

• PICT8756.JPG
    PICT8756.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 3,600
  • PICT8758.JPG
    PICT8758.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 3,599
  • PICT8099.JPG
    PICT8099.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 3,597
  • PICT8097.JPG
    PICT8097.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 3,603
Just had this Psyclone weight discussion over on MTBR. This one weighs 4lb 1oz which is as light or lighter than many aluminum frames from this same period but heavy compared to a 3lb 5oz 18" Xizang from the same period. I have a 16" Psyclone frame hanging naked in the basement from 1994 that weighs 4lb 3.7oz.

gm1230126":55vuf3fv said:
Just had this Psyclone weight discussion over on MTBR. This one weighs 4lb 1oz which is as light or lighter than many aluminum frames from this same period but heavy compared to a 3lb 5oz 18" Xizang from the same period. I have a 16" Psyclone frame hanging n*ked in the basement from 1994 that weighs 4lb 3.7oz.

That has to be right on the limit weight wise for steel.

Super anyway, look forward to it being finished.

Latest posts

Back