2011 Genesis Day-One

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Wow, new-plate daily driver! :D

Too new?

For ages, I've been using less desirable bikes to get about on while expensive MTBs don't get used as much as ideal.

Image0268.jpg

I had a Revolution Courier Race for 3.5 years its been a great tool for the money, I turned it SS, and realised I wasn't that comfortable on it, any excuse to get shopping!

My commute now has hills, cambers and potholes etc so wanted summat sturdy and now wasn't a good time to enter the world of steep angled road bikes. I love fast 700c and for my sins and aches, I decided to stick with SS specific.

After considering the new untested Giant, and pondering the decent offereings from SE/Fuji I set my heart on one of these, and cobbled a deal as soon as 2011 came along. I really wanted an Orange 2010 model but this is slightly more low key for locking it up in the city if i dare!

Singletrack Mag loved their test bike, and I'm going to fully test its off road capabilities rude not to, 29er curious, a CX inspired machine is the next best thing (or better some may say!)

endof2010069.jpg

chunky tubing inspires confidence but not that heavy really.
endof2010072.jpg

Freewheel was abit clicky at first but is actually a Shimano MX30 and KMC chain which is fairly decent, though my first upgrade was the cheapy plastic pedals and clips for decent ones.
endof2010073.jpg

Stem/bar fitment isn't so inspiring though. hmm :-/ :?:
endof2010076.jpg

Just as the reviews suggested the tyres are decent as light all rounders but did get a bit slip slidey on the wet trails/mud.
endof2010083.jpg

Without delay I got a Panaracers Cinder Cross for the front, less hairy now.
endof2010085.jpg

I was also tempted to try these minimalist bar ends too. Needs the bar chopping a bit next probably.
endof2010086.jpg

Story so far...

It feels fairly good on and off road, short and light enough to zip and jump and pop the wheel but maybe a bit too tall skinny and steep to take on risks you'd do on an MTB but defo XC trail worthy, bring it on, great fun going fast inbetween. So next up I've got a 39t ring to lighten the 42/18 gearing a bit, and go on more of an epic day out...

Then I'll get the mudguards and city tyres on, either 28 or 32 wide, and probably Conti Sport Contacts again. I'd like something with more tread but it'll be spring soon...

Thanks for the nice words, I've got really fussy over looks and function over the past few years so glad you like too. Colour is a bonus, orange is always my fave but this is a smart alternative. :)

Mini Vs feel fine so far less flex in design i guess, the small curvy levers seem really comfy too and don't get in the way. The days out have been dry apart from wet mud so not a full test but at present I'm very happy with them. when I first started looking I was gonna build a frame with cantis, but gotta move on :D its retro in spirit and simplicity.

700c day? really, I'm off to take a look at the others then... :)

Like it. I am seriously considering the Day One Alfine for commuting duties when the CTW scheme comes back at our gaff in the Spring, comes in Orange to!

Yeah, That one is a real temptation especially if you want to take hills seriously, disk brakes and all IIRC. I have not ruled out possibly buying a hub gear in the future. Its fairly light under 22lbs so a decent sensible gearing and it gets up hills quite nicely.

cheers

While the boss was away in March I got busy turning the house into a bikes shop as ya do!

P3202138.jpg

Its now got a commuter make over, and I was riding it and the old bike back to back, and I still can't get comfy on the old one bit long a bit low in the bar dept, oh and the 46/18 gears (was 16 for ages, then 17) wasn't doing me any good at all specially with the new hills. The Rev is getting 8 gears back on soon and might get sold...

P4242250.jpg

So yeah, Mud guards on. Not sure if these are staying on, it feels wrong for this ace bike.
P3202144.jpg

Similarly I got this awesome tyre its great for road action but after an accident snakebite one lightless night, I'm pondering 35's or 32's all round and no mud guards...

P4242251.jpg

Bars got a wee chop down for road work.
:cool:
Gear wise I made a wise investment.
P4242252.jpg

17T WI Eno :cool: there goes the bank account! :LOL: Clicky clicky!
gonna see how 42-17 goes for a while should be slightly less than 46-18 on the old un ;)

Back