98 Sunn Revolt

renaldo

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Recently bought this :D When I bought my Sunn Vertik this is the bike I would have loved to get, having read a full bike test review of the Vertik and a small review of the Revolt in MBUK. I couldn't afford a Revolt back then as a poor student, and my LBS happened to have the Vertik, so the Vertik it was and much fun it has been :D However, I've been on the lookout for a Revolt for a while and was chuffed when this turned up. It was a bit grubby having not been used for several years but its very original and has cleaned up very nicely - everything is original apart from the saddle, although I have since changed the cassette and the tyres (Python NG Airlights as the originals were starting to crack a little). It even came with the original service manual and '98 cataloue.

Spec and pics:

Frame: 1998 Sunn Revolt (Fuji Stout Light)
Fork: Sunn Cromo

Headset: Diatech
Stem: Syncros
Bar: Brute 145 (Sunn)
Grips: Grigripz (Sunn)

Brakes: Avid SD2.0RW
Brake Pads: Kool-stop thinline salmon
Brake Cables: Shimano XTR
Brake Levers: Avid SD2.0L

Shifters: ESP 9.0 SL
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M738
Rear Derailleur: ESP 9.0 SL
Derailleur Cables: Shimano XT
Cassette: Shimano XT M737
Chain: Sachs PC51
Cranks: Race Face Forged
Chainrings: TA Specialites
Bottom Bracket: FSA
Pedals: Wellgo MG-1

Hubs: Brubz 3 (Fr) Sachs Neos (Rr)
Rims: Mavic 517CD
Hub Skewers: Sunn
Tyres: Hutchinson Python NG Airlight

Saddle: Fizik Gobi XM
Seatpost: Syncros

Weight: ~22lbs

IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1768.jpg

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1765.jpg

another cute sunn.. and me liking this more.. original tyres, must be dry as desert? AND sunn logo ta rings :shock: almost bought a complete bike for a ringset like that ;)

so a large exact and a medium sized revolt.. how long are you? :)

Really like the clean lines and subtle touches on Sunn frames.
Nicely specced too. Looks great.

biocandy":1d7jdu3n said:
another cute sunn.. and me liking this more.. original tyres, must be dry as desert? AND sunn logo ta rings :shock: almost bought a complete bike for a ringset like that ;)

The original tyres are not actually too bad considering, wouldn't want to ride them but nice to have. The Sunn logo rings were a nice surprise, they were so dirty you couldn't see them when I got the bike but they emerged when I stripped it and gave it a good clean :D

biocandy":1d7jdu3n said:
so a large exact and a medium sized revolt.. how long are you? :)

I'm 6ft or 182cm, so right on the divide between the M and L sizes according to the '98 catalogue. I've always got on fine with my M size Vertik. I also have a 18" Diamond Back but 19" Kona Explosif and Orange P7, so should be fine with the large Exact, but its one of the reasons I'm keen to get out on it and try it

drystonepaul":lv492w2y said:
Really like the clean lines and subtle touches on Sunn frames.
Nicely specced too. Looks great.

Thank you. I like that its original but I'm tempted to fiddle with it a bit - I recently bought these from Crucial which were specc'd on the Revolt GP I believe and match the shifters and rear mech. I'm also tempted to try and get a decent Obsys fork, or maybe even a Sid, but will see how I get on with it rigid

sram90.jpg

That's just damn lovely!
I think I'd leave the original forks on - looks good - maybe a nice black SID XC if you need a sus fork.
I think being the height you are the 50cm frame should fit you better than the 45. Enjoy!!

Re: Revolt

Carlos3":3ur2bswk said:
Very nice bike. Do you sell this?

Not for sale sorry, this will be a keeper. Actually have some Obsys Carbon forks for it on the way....

Back