My Journey. GT build (WARNING! Reebok content)

zotty

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
well better start with this!!

one Reebok 'Zone'

1.jpg

i was REALLY into the kite buggy scene from about 2001 but towards the end of 2008 i had pretty much lost the mojo for the sport :(. we moved house and ended up on the door step of Cannock chase (you know where this is going dont you?) well it didnt take long to spot the cars travelling past with bikes on the back on a regular basis, so i investigated. WOW... i found the 'follow the dog' trails!! so i needed a bike asap lol.

now i wasnt keen at the time to admit to my self that i had lost the kite buggy mojo so was reluctant to sell my kite gear which left my struggling for funds for a new hobby. so a trip to hellfrauds see's me owning the reebok lol (i know i know! lol.. it was a sin but in my defence. i hadnt been/seen a bike since my teens and i'm now 41 so all in it didnt look bad!! and had more than 3 gears! lol).

Off to the trails i go :D!!

WOW

HOLY COW!!!

it all came flooding back.. my youth spent at birmingham wheels bmx track.. ridng the monkey run under the m6 in bromford (birmngham inner city lad me) etc etc!! i was addicted!

then the problems began! lol

brakes? what brakes!! seemed i needed new ones (although while waiting i did master the art of setting up mechanical disc brakes :D )

gears?? why wont they change up when i'm giving it some stick??

looked like i had to sell some kite gear didnt it lol

que the parts!!

2.jpg

ended up selling ALL the kite gear lol.

over a period of maybe 10 months i added

xt drivetrain
hope tech m4 brakes
hope pro 2 hubs on mtx 31 rims
gravity dropper (best thing since sliced bread)
easton bars
fattys flattys pedals
marz xc comp forks
and a few bits of bling lol..

i was happy....... for awhile!

the prob i had was i had gone up from 80mm travel forks to 100mm travel forks and i came across some pictures of some guys poor broken frame. and he had put it down to the longer forks.. the more i read up on it the more i worried about mine breaking lol

cue the GT xcr frame

3.jpg

i got the frame cheap from a local mtb forum member and did the rebuild..

WOW!! the change in ride was truely impressive :D .. switch backs suddenly became easy,, it went where i pointed it and did exactly what i asked of it...

but

i was aware the frame could take 130/140 travel.. and indeed that they came this way new lol..
the hunt was on for longer forks.

cue forks

PB062385.jpg

life was good... ish.

i hated the colour of the black frame.. hated it with a passion.. and as i had said before the frame came cheap meaning it hadnt got the best of paint finish's lol.. infact it had a fair few battle scars on it. also the bike had originally been built around a white frame so was kinda themed to match.

cue frame hunt number two

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

frame is a totally mint GT aggressor xc2 which i bought as a complete bike and transplanted the parts onto my sons Saracen mantra 2 (and thats another thread in the making lol)

lifes good for now :) very happy with my bike and it certainly does its job over at follow the dog or indeed around the monkey..

heres the spec list

GT xc2 frame

marzocchi Bomber 44 tst2 airs

gravity dropper turbo

Hope FR 50mm stem

Hope Integrated Headset

Hope Head doctor

Hope Grip Doctor

hope Space Doctor

hope 203 floating saw rotors x 2

hope QR skewers

hope tech m4 brake front

hope tech m4 brake back

hope tech levers x 2

hope tech Master Cylinder Lid x 2

Hope fork cable guides

Hope seat QR seat clamp

Hope Bottom Bracket (SS)

Hope Mount Adapter rear

Hope Pro 2 Front hub

Hope Pro 2 Rear hub

Sunringle mtx31 rims (welded)

DT Swiss comp 2mm-1.8mm spokes x 74

Blue Spoke nipples x74

Fatties flattys pukkas pedals

Easton EA30 bars

Giant lock-on grips

Shimano XT 9sp shadow deraileur M772

Shimano XT Front mech M771

Shimano XT M770 9sp cassette

Shimano xt HT2 M770 chain set

shimano xt shifters (F&R) M770

Sram PC991 chain (9spd)

Tacx ceramic jocky wheels

Clarks Gear cables X 2

titainium m5 bolts x 12

aluminium m6 bolts x 8

Kcnc jocky wheel bolts

M-part fork cable guide

Cateye w100 trip comp

lizard skins chain stay protector

panracer XC Pro 2.1 x 2

wow what an interesting journey!

nice bike too, although must admit i prefer the xcr frame. still got it? ;)

jamabikes":bkuzgy73 said:
wow what an interesting journey!

nice bike too, although must admit i prefer the xcr frame. still got it? ;)

thanks bud.

yeah still got the xcr frame but its now my eldest sons bike although he's looking to change it as well lol.. as i said it has its battle scar and the most worrying are the tyre rubs on the inside of the chain stays!! original owner prob ran to larger tyre for to longer time lol! i certainly didnt trust them and for the money i paid it was a great stop gap ;)

to be fair both GT frames feel the same to ride and theres next to nothing in it when it comes to weight

superb! wasnt expecting that, think you should hide the rbk pics ;) :LOL:

if you sell any blue bits, let me know ;)

cyfa2809":3nxoamsu said:
superb! wasnt expecting that, think you should hide the rbk pics ;) :LOL:

if you sell any blue bits, let me know ;)

cheers bud :)

and as for the blue bits.. theres a LOT!! lol only need a blue stem to complete the hope line up and theres lots of other blue detailing :). will get a few more closer pics up and will certainly give you a shout should i decide to rid my self of the blue addiction ive managed to acquire lol

cyfa2809":2z5uwkrm said:
ano amazingness!

you sir are a genius.. totally describes the feeling i get when handing over yet more money for yet more new blue anodised parts LOL

currently dreams of more blue Ti bolt goodness.. and a blue crank tension bolt..................

and have you seen the 'mowa' stuff thats started to show up?? yummy cable guides just for a start!!

1008061628201.jpg

lol

sorry i went into one there didnt i? lol

i often go into one! :LOL:
yeah i have seen these parts, look expensive though but going by your spec doesnt look like it will be a problem! :LOL: :LOL:

have you looked at nsb
these people do coloured brake mounts and guides etc.

http://www.northshorebillet.com/

and superstar do cheap but quality ano parts
dirty dog do funky rotors etc.

just depends how leftfield you want to go and how much your willing to pay! ;)

ooo also there is my recent discovery of gub, cheap cnc people from hong kong
http://www.allez-bid.com/store/
i have a 10% discount code for these if you need it ;)

cyfa2809":1xyq02hu said:
yeah i have seen these parts, look expensive though but going by your spec doesnt look like it will be a problem! :LOL: :LOL:

is mucho problem lol.. my kite gear bought the bike, and having to find a new job due to previously working in corporate entertainment and team building.. which is deader than dead currently has really limited funds :(

Looks a nice piece. Lots of coordinated Hope goodness. I have a soft spot for red things personally...

Back