Saracen fork and wheel help

Gotte

Dirt Disciple
I originally posted this in the <1998 board, thinking the Sahara I bought was older, but was advised to post here.

Here's the post:

Just got a Saracen Sahara SE for £26, which I'm going to convert to a tourer.
It came with Weinman Bontrager B3C wheels with Exage hubs, and a Maxdrive cromo fork.
Are these any good or best swapped out?
The fork looks a bit iffy to me, kind of pretend suspension, though isn't. I was going to swap it for a Kona P2, but don't know it that's heavier/worse. Wheels, I've got a few hanging around, but never come across the Weinman Bontrager.

Anyone got an opinion.

I was told the B3C wheels were probably okay, but not great.

I was also advised to upgrade the fork, but warned against forks that were corrected for suspension.
My P2s are about 2 inches longer than the originals. Anyone know if this is going to affect the handling noticeably?

Also, I've got a nice looking pair of Rigida Turbo 90s with Parallax hubs. As I said, they look nice, but they are old (I was given them), and I don't know if they are any good or not.
I've also got a spare pair of GT wheels from my GT LTS 3000ds. I'm not sure of the rims, though the hubs are prorietry GT. Anyone know which are going to be the best out of this lot?

Thanks

Lets see some pics that would help.

Having an old saracen myself, I'd try some shorter axle crown P2s myself, although if you got 410mm ones then you wont notice that much difference if you then used a short stem.

Not much help on the rest but the wheels it came with should be pretty ok, especially for touring. Would have thought they were ok weight wise as well.

the maxdrive fork is very heavy. you will transform the bike by replacing it for sure

Back