My 2001 Merlin mountain

negr6

Dirt Disciple
Another old retro MTB - my Merlin frame which is I believe a 2001 model - the last of the pre-disc mount ones. It's been built up with a variety of bits over the years - some Rockshox Dukes (crap, avoid, despite the nice yellow colour) , some Pace carbon rigid forks (I'm now too fat and old to ride rigid!), and now these Manitou Drakes (cheap, basic and nice).

10012011297.jpg

10012011299.jpg

10012011306.jpg

10012011305.jpg

OK, hardly really retro, but the gears, wheels and rear brakes are the same era as the frame.

negr6":21ml599e said:
Rockshox Dukes (crap, avoid, despite the nice yellow colour)

I really rate my Dukes very highly. Touch wood, they've never let me down in 7 years (cue blown seals when I go in the garage tonight!).
Lovely bike though, it looks absolutely fantastic and is no doubt a very functional ride looking at the spec. Beautiful!

Dukes- mayeb I was unlucky, but I had the yellow Duke XCs (I think) which looked lovely and evoked memories of a much lusted after merlin full sus with Judy Ti forks that used to ride around Letchworth where I lived many years ago.

Anyway - I never really got on with the Dukes, and finally sent them off to Fishers for a service (this was 2005 or 2006) - they told me that an air chamber was scored and leaking, and due to the age and relative rarity of the forks they didn't have any spares. I was a bit miffed to say the least, especially given that they hadn't seen much use at all. Worn out before they were fully run-in, I remember thinking.

I've had good and bad RS forks over the years, and sadly more bad than good.

Latest posts

Back