2010 On One Scandal 29er

unocogero

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Just thought I’d post up a few pictures and a quick review of the 29” On One Scandal just in case anyone was toying with this modern, newfangled fad that is 29ers!

My Scandal is a 16”; I’m 5ft 7, and the sizing is spot on for me. The frame is anodised and the coating seems fairly tough. I have used some Pauls Thumbie Mounts as shifters and gone with a set of Avid BB7 mechanical disc as they work so well. The wheels are Hope hubs (the rear hub is retro!) on Halo rims and the fork is a Reba.

The bike is super quick and handles brilliantly. 29ers work just as well for short arses as they do for tall people and this bike feels really sure footed and nimble on single track. It works well through tight tree sections but it really comes into its own on sweeping single track descents and long gentle climbs. It handles rough downhill with surprising control and I happily followed a 6” full suss carbon down a reasonably technical decent (and that is not my forte).

As a replacement for my underused full suss bike it is perfect and an ideal standby when my rigid 1990 Fire Mountain is out of it’s depth.

Attachments

• IMG_0185 s.jpg
    IMG_0185 s.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 5,312
  • IMG_0184 s.jpg
    IMG_0184 s.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 5,312
  • IMG_0001 s.jpg
    IMG_0001 s.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 5,312
Some more pics...

Attachments

• IMG_0189 s.jpg
    IMG_0189 s.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 5,308
  • IMG_0188 s.jpg
    IMG_0188 s.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 5,308
  • IMG_0186 s.jpg
    IMG_0186 s.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 5,308
Nice bike

Love the colour, green & silver just works so well :)

Great choice on the brakes & levers, thumbies look cool too

Only thing I'm not sure on is the 29er wheels, they just look odd/out of proportion to me, but as I haven't ridden one yet I reserve the right to change my mind ;)

How does the frame feel compared to to steel?

Andy the more you look at 29ers the less odd they become.

Thanks, sourcing silver components is a real hassle at times!

It is definitely firmer than the Unit at the rear but I've found I actually like that on a 29er where I may not have done on a 26" wheel bike.

I think that the extra volume to the rear tyre (30psi) largely negates the firmer aluminium frame and actually leads to a ride that is still fairly supple but feels much more positive on the trail, both under acceleration and when cornering.

I have ridden the bikes back to back on woodland single track and the Unit feels sluggish and a little ponderous compared to the Scandal.

In addition the Scandal seems far better suited to the 100mm Reba and steering is as accurate as on a quick 26" bike. It is particularly noticeable on the twisty stuff and tight lines through the trees (which Ed knows is my favourite type of trail). In these conditions you really notice the Unit's bigger wheels but with the Scandal I felt as quick as I would have done on my Maxlight or Fire Mountain.

In defence of the Unit it has got fairly heavy wheels on it compared to the Scandal but interestingly both bikes are spot on 26lbs weight so fairly evenly matched.

I was particularly pleased with the 26lbs weight for the Scandal which I reckon is pretty good for a geared 29er that hasn't particularly been weight weenied ;)

Hey Disco Dave, was that your thread on the NRS I saw the other day?

I had an NRS2 and it was a stonking bike through woodland singletrack. To give you an indication this is as quick and nimble as the NRS but with a slacker head angle feels a less twitchy and more composed.

It's as good as I've ridden.

Here is both bikes, the Unit and Scandal, next to each other. Might give you an idea of how similar the geometry is. Even the head angles are only .3 of a degree out at around 71 degrees. Interesting that the 2011 Unit has a head angle of 68.5 which is downhill sort of slack...

Attachments

• IMG_0190 s.jpg
    IMG_0190 s.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 5,267
it was mate, i love the NRS and will never sell it but i keep bumping in to 29 ers and think should i give it a go, we are blessed with some nice single track around my way and would like to give one a try.

stunning bike mate, love the green and silver gives it a real old skool feel

Maybe an East Midlands/Lincolnshire ride could be on the cards? Scunthorpe is only an hour and a bit away from Nottingham and the lure of singletrack is always strong...

The Sherwood Pines meet was a real success last June.

Back