1998 Saracen HardTrax (another winter hack)

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
98HardTrax01.jpg

A couple of weeks ago after a Retrobike ride at Rivington, I mentioned I had a few frames that were taking up space and would be free to a good home.
It seems you can't give these things away so I ended up swapping a 1994 GT Outpost Trail frame and forks for this 1998 Saracen HardTrax frame.
Thanks to MrLee my space issues were not eased, in fact now things are worse because I've only gone and built up another bike.

This HardTrax now brings my tally of Saracens to six which is frankly getting ridiculous.

Anyway, I had a few old LX and STX-RC bits knocking around in the loft along with a choice of 1998 Marzocchi Bomber Z2s or some 1998 RST Mozo Pros. The Bombers need new oil seals and despite being vastly superior forks, I've gone for the Mozo Pros for the time being.
Considering this was almost a parts bin build I'm quite pleased to have kept it mostly period correct, from the groupset through to the tyres.

I'll eventually fix the Bombers and build up a set of wheels around a set of period correct LX hubs I've got too, once I've purchased a couple of hundred spokes for all the other wheels I need to build.

98HardTrax02m.jpg
98HardTrax03m.jpg

98HardTrax04m.jpg
98HardTrax05m.jpg

Anyway, it's had it's first test ride in the freezing weather. It was a lovely sunset, but the stem is too long at the moment, which nearly ruined it.
Plus this bike is rather heavy. Possibly due to the winter proof all steel chainrings and wire beaded, weight of a dinosaur WTB Velociraptor tyres.

Ho hum, mustn't grumble. Not bad for a free frame...

----------------------------------------------------------

December 2010:

NWA-RomanLakes-December-05.jpg

NWA: Roman Lakes and Mellor Moor ~ 11/12/10 - Click here for more

IMG_3277.jpg

NWA: Roman Lakes and Mellor Moor ~ 11/12/10

February 2011:

RB-Settle-Malham_13.jpg

NWA & NE&Yorks: Settle to Malham, Dales ~ 19/02/11 - Click here for more

Updated with Marzocchi Bomber Z2s and STX-RC chainset.

February 2012:

NWA-Hayfield-12.jpg

Spinner forks, Kalloy post, Ritchey Vector saddle and Panaracer Duster Pro tyres.

P1010295.jpg

NWA: Hayfield ~ 04/02/12 - Click here for more

Nice. Lets see more photos of the frame though fella!

Saracens sure give good value. I think these were among the last of the decent ones before the Halfords era?

Anyway, nice usable bits. Good winter bike. Might be a ridiculous question, and I have had a pair of those levers for ages on a bike previously, but the HI LO setting on them, does that make any noticeable difference? I never adjusted mine in 8 years I had them.

Looks great mate I'm glad you have a use for her and cheers for the swap I'm loving the gt .
Cheers

Back