Santa Cruz Superlight frames???

TheAlbionJackal

Retro Newbie
Just bought an old silver anodised SL frame with the completely straight top tube and I'm trying to date it.

Does anyone know when SC changed the straight top tube to the latter day one that has a curve up to the seat tube in it?

Any advice on kitting it out nice and light?

Could well be '99. My first one had the straight TT and that was 99 iirc.

I think the straight TT was on the smaller frame size; can you post pics/measurements?

Build-wise, up to you really ;) depends on many factors; Do you want to go period correct or all out weight weenie? - budget may well be a deciding factor ;) :)

I've had/done a couple of Superlights - links in my sig if you fancy a look.

Cheers

Wadsy,

It's a 17.5 inches (medium?) model. TT from centre to centre measures 21.75 inches. Serial Number under the BB is 01ZBHO4159. Serial number on rear stay (brake boss side) 01ZBHR4146

It was your "article" that prompted me to post, tbh.

I can't do pics at the mo' but what confused me is that, unlike your pewter one, it had disc and V brake bosses as standard. Surely a '99 model wouldn't have?

In order for me to do justice to the original, I'd like to ascertain the correct year.

In the absence of that, it's 2.5kg (including Float RL shock and Chris King Headset) may prompt me to do a bit of a ww job.

TheAlbionJackal":3c7m4xrd said:
Wadsy,

Serial Number under the BB is 01ZBHO4159. Serial number on rear stay (brake boss side) 01ZBHR4146
that would be an made in 2001 then, so could be a 2001 or 2002.

post some pics........

Sounds like the same size as my old grey one iirc. I think it was a medium, but they did get longer on later models and it's more small/medium now :LOL:

You're right, the 99 wouldn't have disc tabs, but I don't know what year they came in :?

You may be able to date it from the shock; have a look on the Fox web-site. Or send an email to Santa Cruz. I would think they could date it from the frame number ;)

If you want to go lightweight, I've done some light builds and my yeti AS-R and/or King Kahuna may give you some ideas for spec/parts ;)

Cheers

PS. You should be able to post pics with an account at photobucket etc and paste the links :)

TheAlbionJackal":2pgyy4qb said:
Just bought an old silver anodised SL frame with the completely straight top tube and I'm trying to date it.

Does anyone know when SC changed the straight top tube to the latter day one that has a curve up to the seat tube in it?

Any advice on kitting it out nice and light?

From memory they changed in 2003 to the bent top tube - I'll check my old mags to confirm if you want.

XTR always looks good on the SL in my opinion.

Back