Kona Muni-Mula (Finished 26.09.11)

madmax74

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone.
I have posted some pictures previously of this bike but thought i would start a new post in the right place.

After some research i have found it is a 2000 model. I also got in touch with Argos racing cycles who gave me a very competitive price for a strip and custom paint job. They were very helpful but it was a bit more than i wanted to spend.

I have decided to strip the frame and go bare metal. Will be using nitromorse as suggested on this site. Any other advise before i start ?

Also will the frame be ok just bare metal and decals or do i need some kind of protective lacquer.
Any frame strip links or vids would be helpful.

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCF1228.JPG
    DSCF1228.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 7,237
  • DSCF1229.JPG
    DSCF1229.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 7,236
  • DSCF1232.JPG
    DSCF1232.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 7,235
  • DSCF1233.JPG
    DSCF1233.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 7,236
i fthe frame is alu (which i think it is) then bare metal is fine. nitromors is good. i think you should keep it as it is though :cool: looks good

nitromors - just follow the instructions on the tin. (you will need a scraper, i used an old phone top up card etc.)

cyfa2809":c0uagxoq said:
i think you should keep it as it is though :cool: looks good

So do I. Why not give it a t cut and decent degrease and see how it looks then? The blue is a decent colour and paint doesnt look in a bad state at all.

For a polished version search on here for majoryeyeswater's - it's ace.

Another vote for leaving as it is. Once original paint is gone, it's very difficult to prove what a frame is, and it looses it's period identity. The blue is pretty cool and looks in plenty good condition.
Don't do it! :eek:

Thanks coomber for the vote of confidence!

I love my Muni Mula in bare alu but it's a pig to keep it shiny though. It was also a really long sanding and polishing job to get it into a reasonably decent condition.

Go for it madmax if you don't mind the graft and Nitro Mors is the way to go matey. Also could see it in white powdercot if you still want it coloured. Might work out cheaper than the price quoted :)

Here's a finished pic of mine......

P6200169.jpg

Steve.

Thanks for the reply's.

To be honest the pictures are quite flattering of this bike. There is some serious fork issues and the paint work looks quite shabby.

(Reluctant) I am also concerned with regards to original content but would think it would be pretty cool to drip this bike in some bling and see how she performs. I would keep all the original parts and not throw them away.I would love to peel the paint off and then stick it back on if i didn't like it :oops: . I think the history of a bike is very important.

(majoreyeswater) OMG looooooove that. Now thats I'm talking about. :D

Went to B&Q and bought some nitro, some wire wool and a paint scraper. Will start taking parts off tomorrow.

Let you know how i get on but I'm a bit nervous to be honest. :oops:

Good luck mate :D

I was lucky in that my bike was bare alu when I got it. However, it had been well used and abused so it took a good deal of effort to remove the old and additional stickers. Once the Nitro Mors had done its job there was stacks of wrist action + elbow grease to bring the frame up to a good standard.

I'll watch your progress with interest :cool:

Steve.

Are you Bristol ish based?

If so don't rule out the painted option until you have spoken to these guys:

http://www.abcenamelling.co.uk/

A chap on here a few years back had a number of frames powdercoated with this company for about £40 including a media blast.

I would imagine that stripping & polishing the frame would cost something similar....

Just food for thought.

Back