Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:28 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: 99 Sunn Exact UN
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:15 am 
Retro Guru

I bought this fom Bruno (bduc61) on here a while ago but hadn't got around to doing much with it until recently.

I've got a Syncros bar, stem and seatpost for it and probably going to go for a SID Team up front

Drivetrain wise I was going to go for full M952 XTR - already got STIs, brakes and BB - but was thinking it might be a bit samey and maybe go for something else for cranks, maybe Race Face. Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:20 am 
MacModerator
MacModerator

8) cool frame and cool kit, should be a winner!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:12 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I would want to know how the length of the SID compared to the length of fork the frame was designed for before I decided on the length of stem to use. It's a great frame, but Obsyss were short. I would guess you need a 10cm stem at most for an SID.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:16 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Coincidence, I just bought a Sunn this very morning from a bike jumble.

I think yours is a little further advanced than mine however, I will be interested in watching how you build it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:52 pm 
Retro Guru

Anthony wrote:
I would want to know how the length of the SID compared to the length of fork the frame was designed for before I decided on the length of stem to use. It's a great frame, but Obsyss were short. I would guess you need a 10cm stem at most for an SID.

I was a bit worried about the length of that SID too - its around 455mm axle-to-crown if I remember correctly, don't know that how that compares to the Obsyss but a fair bit longer I suspect. I've just bought Wadsy's SID World Cup which I might use instead, and thats 440mm so should be better.

DA-EVO wrote:

Thats quite a find. What model? Love to see some pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:33 pm 

renaldo wrote:
DA-EVO wrote:

Thats quite a find. What model? Love to see some pics.

mine is an 'urge' although I can't find a frame number as yet and I don't really know much other than its similar in paint and weld-ons to yours, but no stickers mentioning Columbus or the red discs on the top tube.

Its also a lot grubbier and is going to need some work to get built up.

Will post up a thread for it at some point.

Good luck with yours!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:39 pm 

I love the look of these frames.

Looking forward to seeing it built

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:39 am 
Retro Guru

Quote:
I was a bit worried about the length of that SID too - its around 455mm axle-to-crown if I remember correctly, don't know that how that compares to the Obsyss but a fair bit longer I suspect. I've just bought Wadsy's SID World Cup which I might use instead, and thats 440mm so should be better.

yeah your sid has 6cm longer atc compared with an obsys carbon, which is the most proper fork for this cool frame ;) got a couple of sunns myself, and don't ride anything but obsys carbons.. mmmm 32mm sweet travel ;) hihi

good luck building *thumbs up*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:54 pm 
Retro Guru

DA-EVO wrote:
mine is an 'urge' although I can't find a frame number as yet and I don't really know much other than its similar in paint and weld-ons to yours, but no stickers mentioning Columbus or the red discs on the top tube.

Good luck with yours!

I think the Urge has Fuji SL tubing rather than Columbus, and a lot of Sunns from this period seem to lose their oval top tube stickers, not sure why. But a lovely bike and definitely worth fixing up.

biocandy wrote:
yeah your sid has 6cm longer atc compared with an obsys carbon, which is the most proper fork for this cool frame :wink: got a couple of sunns myself, and don't ride anything but obsys carbons.. mmmm 32mm sweet travel :wink: hihi

I would be tempted by a Obsyss carbon, but they seem to be rarer than rocking horse poo, and I have bad memories of the standard Obsyss on my Vertik - I swear a rigid fork would have been better as the damping or rebound on it seemed to remove any correlation between what you felt and the terrain underneath you. Is the carbon fork better or just lighter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:43 pm 
Retro Guru

renaldo wrote:
I would be tempted by a Obsyss carbon, but they seem to be rarer than rocking horse poo, and I have bad memories of the standard Obsyss on my Vertik - I swear a rigid fork would have been better as the damping or rebound on it seemed to remove any correlation between what you felt and the terrain underneath you. Is the carbon fork better or just lighter?

been tormenting 2 of my carbons without any problem for 2 years now, and no problems.. only service is on one that i had to inflate some air into.. it's a really good fork and you got just the right frame to go with it.. the combo is great if you like to work your bike and not just tagging along a full susp ride ;)

going to complete a disc brake sunn soon and keen on seeing how the obsys carbon handle a disc brake