'98 Sunn Vertik - back from the brink

renaldo

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've owned this bike from new and absolutely love it, so I was gutted when I found I found a crack in the seat tube just above the top tube. The full story is here, along with some great advice from people on here. The short version is, found this crack:

crack_3_163.jpg

Got it fixed by Chas Roberts:

sticker1_107.jpg

Then got it powder coated and some custom made replacement stickers made. Thanks to RuttegerCarruthers for producing the AI file for the stickers.

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1068.jpg

While it was in bits I've taken the opportunity to upgrade loads of the bits including new cranks / BB, seatpost and XT brakes, mechs and shifters :D Also got the forks serviced and they are great. Anyway, some pics and the spec:

IMG_1142.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

IMG_1151.jpg

Frame: 1998 Sunn Vertik (Fuji DB)
Fork: 2003 Rock Shox Sid Race

Headset: Diatech
Stem: Rudd (Sunn)
Bar: X-Lite X-Country riser
Grips: Grigripz (Sunn)

Brakes: XT M739
Brake Pads: Shimano
Brake Cables: Shimano XTR
Brake Levers: XT M739

Shifters: Shimano Deore XT M740
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M738
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M739
Derailleur Cables: Shimano XT
Cassette: Shimano STX (I think)
Chain: Shinano IG51
Cranks: Race Face Ride XC
Chainrings: Race Face
Bottom Bracket: FSA Platinum
Pedals: DMR V8s (for now)

Hubs: Sunn by Sachs
Rims: Sunn
Hub Skewers: Sunn
Tyres: Tioga Factory XC 1.95

Saddle: Fizik Gobi XM
Seatpost: Syncros

Weight: 26lbs 4oz

I'm thrilled to bits with it. It may not be the most high-end of bikes but I've always loved the way it looks and rides, and very happy to have it back.

Ross

Surprised it weighs that much, although doubt it feels like that riding it.

Looks superb mate, really nice bike and nice to see a Sunn on here as they aren't well represented which is a real shame.

:cool:

coomber":38lwdnyv said:
Surprised it weighs that much, although doubt it feels like that riding it.

It doesn't really feel like it weighs that much, either lifting it or riding it, but that was measured on an electronic balance at my LBS. Not sure where the weight is as the frame is reasonably light (4.5lbs) and most of the components are quite light, if not featherweight. I'm tempted to try and put it on a diet but don't want to change it too much either.

I agree with Coomber, there's no way that bike can weigh 26lbs. The only possible culprits are the wheels, tyres and cassette, which might make it 25 when it should be 24. The only other thing I would change would be the stem which I would suggest is too long for a 98 frame with an 80mm fork.

It's a great looking bike and full marks to you for biting the bullet and getting Roberts on the job. :cool:

nice work ;)

tubing is FUJi Chromo DB
original weight with rigid fork was 11.6kg (but probably with rather heavy wheels and not as good parts as XT)

an xcircuit in Tange DB of the same year with an obsys fork - quite light but SID could probably compare - was supposed to be 10.8 kg - probably without any pedals and surely on the optimistic side like every builder's catalog ;)

I've been out enjoying this but crashed it on my second proper ride :oops:
Luckily no harm to the bike and only damaged pride for the rider.

I can only think the weight is in the wheels and tyres too so might look to change them at some point. Theres probably half a pound in the pedals too if I swapped them for some decent SPDs or some Welgo MG-1s. I have a M737 cassette so might chuck that on as well. Other than that I'm replacing the seat post QR with a Salsa lip lock and want to swap the stem for a Syncros one to match the seatpost.

Heres some (slightly) better pics as I shrunk the others too much

IMG_1154.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

Wasnt this designed around an Obsys 40mm fork? A sunn doesnt look at its best to me when its propped up so high to me, must also feel the longer forks when riding it.

JeRkY":ecg1j5ia said:
Wasnt this designed around an Obsys 40mm fork? A sunn doesnt look at its best to me when its propped up so high to me, must also feel the longer forks when riding it.

quite right all these frames were either with obsys40 and obsys Carbon - so very limited travel
other had the Obsys 55
so the sid with 65mm is possibly the longest travel that won't alter dramatically the handling ;)

I agree the front is a bit high but I like the way it handles - it feels quick but still stable and planted, and very comfortable. I don't know what I'd repalce it with either that would work as well as the SID but with less travel.

Back